New member and a clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mx72sss

Reaction score
Hello, I am new here and this is my first post. The reason I signed up is because every time I search the Internet for questions on land rovers I seem to get most all of my answers from this forum. I greatly appreciate the willingness of everyone on here that gets involved to help other Land Rover owners. My problem is: when I go to turn the key to start the car, it does absolutely nothing. When I let go of the key, I hear a slight clunk or moan coming from somewhere in the engine compartment. Only after that clunk/moan I can turn the key again and the car starts right up. This happens every time I go to start it. Turn the key, let go of the key, hear the moan, turn the key again and it starts right up. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Is the starter itself going bad? Could it be something with the engine itself? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

mx72sss

Reaction score
Sorry

I forgot to mention my vehicle. It's a 2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have any check engine lights, if so what are the fault code numbers?
Is the clunk the ABS resetting itself? Have you opened the hood and had someone else turn the key so you could listen for the noise?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635