New owner/dumb question??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

SteveA

Roverhound said:
The transmission is a German made ZF unit. Much better then the GM garbage BMW used in thier own cars throughout most of the 90's.

Just to set things straight, BMW has used ZF automatic transmissions in their vehicles since 1976. They did use a few Borg Warner transmissions in earlier vehicles.

Land Rover's choice for the ZF automatic had nothing to do with BMW's temporary ownership. When the Range Rover arrived in the US in 87, it had a ZF automatic. All US Discoverys, Defenders and Range Rovers if they were automatics had ZF transmissions.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ZF in 5-speeds

Steve A, don't forget the few running 5-speeds in the D1. Thats a ZF box also with a oil pump, seperate cooler and of all things, syncro reverse. Syncro, bearing and seal kit alone cost me $300. I'm about to rebuild the box myself. Question i have is why they used ZF for the power steering pump and not a ZF steering box? The steering box looks identical to the Bendix PSB on my 68 Ford pickup. Go to GM for your door latches, 89 Astro V6 for the 3.9 stepper motor. GM's past still lurks. Carl..................o&o>....................

S

SteveA

Right Carl. What I was trying to say is if it was a US spec Land Rover with an automatic, it had a ZF automatic. There were the few Discoverys between 94 and 97 that had the manual transmission, and then of course all D110's and 94-95 D90's.

Did you say the manual box in those vehicles was ZF also? Everything I've read say that it was the Land Rover built R380. Hmm...

Stephen

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9