New owner/dumb question??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

Silverwing

Glad to find this site. Looks like alot of good info here. Just got my 01 D2 last week and have been checking things out. Can't find the tranny dipstick though. Owners manual didn't show it and there ain't one in the engine compartment that I can see (I might be blind). Help is needed for the terminally new!! Thanks.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly the D2 does not have a transmission dip stick, it is a closed system...

The joy's of BMW workmanship....

S

Silverwing

Thanks for the response Joey. So, what's the deal? No check? Just watch for leaks and change at the recommended freq's? Wierd. The motor is BMW? Should be a good runner then. When I went out looking for a new rig I was intending on a Jeep GC but saw this baby siiting all by it's lonesome. The thing was like brand new so I bought it. Now I have to learn about it AFTER the fact. I really like it so far (except for the mushy brakes). Can't wait to get it off road and see what it will do.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome and congrats on your new truck. I too bought mine and then learned about it. Not the best way to go but so far, so good.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its "sealed for life". Guess they really meant "for about 60K miles, and then its dying, ha ha fooled ya, come to us with yer money" :(

However many people manage to do flush and refill even with that. No dipstick though.

Roverhound

Reaction score
No BMW did not make the Disco motors. It's still a LR design based on the old Buick aluminum v8. The transmission is a German made ZF unit. Much better then the GM garbage BMW used in thier own cars throughout most of the 90's.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, what I meant so say was that BMW owned LR during those years, and I am sure they had there hand in how things where designed (to some minor extent)

D

discomike

Mark,
Just cange the fluid every 25,000 or 30,000 miles and enjoy the truck.
Mike J.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9