New Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cyberegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I did everything Moose suggested..... I cleaned the oil pickup tube so well I could have sipped a boat drink thru it.

No change, still clanking metallic noise, and then it dies. I did pull out some small metal fragments, size of popcorn kernel.

I bought a better, screw-in type of compression gauge, as soon as I get over my discouragement, I'll test it again. Altho I don't know what I'm going to do now. I think I'm over my head at this point.

Thanks again, Moose and Melissa - your words of help and encouragement helped me to feel like I was doing something, and at least I found out what the problem wasn't :confused:

D

disco1

Metal fragments the size that you describe could be parts of a bearing thats starting to disintergrate. This could explain the noise you are hearing.
As the bearings fail, the conrod/piston assembly is free to travel further up the bore and as a consequence, the clunking/ticking sound is caused by the piston touching the head. This symptom is indication of imminent and rapid failure of components other than just bearings. I suggest that the furtherest you drive your vehicle is to the nearest good mechanic.

BTW, I noticed in one of your previous posts that you are in need of a good mechanic. I would suggest that you look for where your local taxis get their repair work done, as you can bet the mechanic/s there will be top notch.

Good Luck and lets know how you make out.

cyberegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally had a chance to do the Compression test. I was wrong about it earlier. Results: cyl 1 140, cyl 2 130, cyl 3 115, cyl 4 0 :mad: ,cyl 5 120, cyl 6 122, cyl 7 130, cyl 8 150. Plus, when I pulled cyl 4 spark plug out, the electrode was bent back against the plug wall - I assume from the piston or ?? hitting it.

Disco1, does this support your theory? Does anybody else have any ideas? I'd really appreciate some feedback.

As I've gotten into it mechanically, I've realized the previous owner neglected it. At this point, I'm concerned it will cost more to fix it than it's worth - I paid $4600 for it a year ago, and I'm wondering what next will happen. The problem is, I've fallen in love with Disco's, but don't think I could afford a replacement now. :bawling:

Last edited:

cyberegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sadly I've decided it's not worth it to me to rebuild the engine, especially since I don't have the time, energy and $$ to do it, and I no longer have a mechanic that I trust. I'm going to try and sell it as a Mechanics special....if that doesn't work out, I'll part it out (I'll let you know and post to the classifeds) and then give it to a local junkyard.

I've vowed to get another Disco (my friends think I need my head examined) at some point in the future, but finances are so tight I can't get one now. That still didn't stop me from looking at what was available....I ended up getting a used Jeep Liberty Sport yesterday - the closest thing to a Disco here.

I can't tell you how much this forum and everyone's comments has helped me. Rover Chic, Disco1, and Discomike, thank you so much. :adore:

I will return....

D

disco1

Sorry to here about your bad luck and I'm glad I could help. I hope you hang around.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo