New Suspension Problem; HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay thanks Dave...I do my share of off-roading so there are certainly some impacts. In this case there was no isolated incident that I can think of....but maybe it was something a while back that caused the initial twisting of the upper control arm, which cause the tensile load going into the link to be off-axis and hence cause bending, which it is not designed to take much of.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hi jack your thread HOUM , but I was wondering if Dave is the guy Whom I got this T shirt from...

Attachments

• IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 17

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a bummer.I thought it was related to you. My friend , local LR indy gave it to me some time a go recommending that guy in Virginia, if I ever need help regarding my LR3 on the way somewhere and since he has a family in Virginia , he knows this guy very well, hence the Q related to you as some similarities surfaced on this forum..,but cheers anyway.It is always a pleasure to meet a fellow member who happens to be a LR tech as well.:hello:

Trynian

Reaction score
Houm, I replied to your PM. As I mentioned in the PM mine was exactly the same occurrence as your account step by step. Swap the shocks and you will see the same symptoms change to the other side. As others mention the control arm will not contact the shock even if the sway bar link is removed if operating normally. With the shock off the control arm has a pretty far swing so the only thing that limits the range of the control arm is the internal stop built into the shock strut. We have had a couple internal shock/strut failures in our off-road club.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trynian, was your shock "popped" or was it only struck mildly on the outside? What you are saying makes sense to me, and is consistent with many of my symptoms.

Trynian

Reaction score
Trynian, was your shock "popped" or was it only struck mildly on the outside? What you are saying makes sense to me, and is consistent with many of my symptoms.

The air spring was not "popped" just some gouge marks on the aluminum airbag casing. after it was aired up and the fuses pulled at normal height is seemed to drive normal accept for bonging not to drive over 30 MPH. :rofl:

drjwelch

Reaction score
Sorry to hi jack your thread HOUM , but I was wondering if Dave is the guy Whom I got this T shirt from...

That is Will, he is in Virginia. Hey, he didn't give me a shirt, but he did a great job on my LR3!!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: Air shock replaced, much improvement now but sensor in that corner wouldn't calibrate. New sensor installed; ride looks even more level, and apparently got farther along in the calibration process but still failed to take a full cal.

Any of you techs out there have an idea of what to do next? What could cause a new sensor to not calibrate? Remember that the EAS red-faulted on me and was at bumpstops. It has not had much time to "think" for itself since getting the fuses put back in, either.

Hard reset? Drive it around a bit? Flatten and reload software?

??

Thanks in advance,
Houm

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635