New Tires, maybe new wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

racingdc9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, it's time for new tires, (17,+++ miles), is there a recommendation for stock replacements? No offroading here, mainly city and freeways. I'm thinking about going with 20's(stock SE 18's) Has anyone put 20's on their LR3 and if you have, what size tire did you go with, and how is the ride compared to stock.

If going to 20's will make a very noticeable rougher ride, then I won't do it, and I'll stick w/ stock wheels.

thanks,

Tommy

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you go with the 19" version: I'm using the Michelin Synchrone on the 19" HSE wheels. Beware of the Goodyears that come standard on the HSE. Bad, bad tire vs. the Michelin.

W

w6000

Go with Nokian 18" tires. Get one set for the winter, and On set for the summer. I just put on the Nokian Winter tires on my LR3, the ride is much better than the Gooodyear's. I am thinking of leaving them on all year round.

racingdc9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nokian: which company is that? I'm in Houston, Tx, winters here are like california summers, hehe.

I'm really trying to persuade my wife for some 20's, hehe. But keep the 18's recommendations coming.

thanks!!

X

xcursion

If you change to 20" wheel, the size should be 255/50 20" if my calculation is correct. Check with your dealer to make sure your gauge and speedometer will still be accurate. And the ride will be stiffer and noticeable. Think twice if your wife will complain.....

racingdc9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, will be noticeable huh?, I think I'll stick w/ stock wheels then. It's my wife's car, so I'll never hear the end of it, if the ride sucks.

D

daytomann

Maybe, instead of 20s..stick with 18s or get some 19" wheels so you can still have a little sidewall. By some cool aftermarket wheels then spoon some ToYo Proxes S/T on them....friggin awesome tires. On my F-150 I upgraded from stock 17" wheels to some Roush 18 inch wheels and put Proxes on them...what difference..for the better! Plush ride, higher speed highway driving is smooth as butter, awesome all season performance (I've had them in a blizzard driving to Colorado, rain, off road you name it)and they offer better handling. Who cares what your wife says..do what you want and ask forgivness later...besides new wheels will grow on her.
Any "good" tire shop can plug the tires sizes in on their computer versus your stockers and they call tell you what it'll do to your speedo...doesnt some of the tire websites have the same calculator??
By the way,,,that black LR3 in the link looks great!

http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_lines/lightTruck_suv/st.html

Last edited by a moderator:
A

AZSTALZ

I just pulled the HSE 19's with Goodyear HP's and replaced them with a set of the 20 inch RR Sport Supercharged rims and put a set of General Tire Grabber UHP 275/45 R20s (Continental's NA brand) and the ride/handling actually improved substantially. Plus they look great... Gives the LR3 that concept car look back! AZSTALZ

C

CoreyS

Do you have a pic with the RR Sport wheels? I'm considering that option as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM