New Voyager Low Profile Roof Rack and Ladder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Douglas225

Reaction score
After a lot of searching, i finally decided on the Voyager. I was leaning towards the Rhino Pioneer; however, the lack of user reviews really pushed me in the direction of the voyager. The single largest "pro" to the Rhino was that it was aluminum (i live in FL and will tote boats, canoes, etc.) and am concerned about rust from a steel rack. The major con of the Rhino was my concern over too much increased noise at highway travel speeds - i drive a lot. They have a wind deflector, but it does not seem well designed in my opinion.

I went with the low profile for two reasons: 1) when adding an additional bar along the top, it provides for a flat/level surface for carrying long, linear cargo; and 2) i wanted to make sure that i had appropriate clearance for garages. Frankly, i like the look of the standard size better than the low profile, but the one i purchased looks great!

Prior to adding the rack, my fuel data was as follows:

6,400 miles put on LR4 with duratracks and no roof rack (i rarely drive in the city, but am off road about once per week)
avg speed = 44 mph
avg fuel eff = 18.8 mph

After adding the roof rack (very limited data). One trip traveling several hundred miles, i feel like i might be losing about 1 mpg, but its really too early to tell for sure. Also, with the added roof rack, i can "feel" the difference driving on the highway - especially during higher winds, which experienced. It is not bad, its just different.

Regarding noise, i am very pleased. There is definitely a "whooshing" that i can hear that is exaggerated by higher winds, but it is much less than i was worried about. Incidentally, my experiences thus far are with the simple wind fairing device that comes stock with the rack. I had ordered the fiberglass upgrade, but, unfortunately, my order was messed up and i will not receive it for a while. Who knows, it may even get better with the upgraded fairing.

Here are a few shots of the rack and ladder being prep'ed and then the installed kit:

IMG_4445.JPG

IMG_4446.JPG
IMG_4447.JPG
IMG_4448.JPG
IMG_4449.JPG

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great. They have changed the rack and ladder since I ordered mine, but its mostly the same. I love mine.

What is that cross bar thing you have? That looks like an add on bar?

Douglas225

Reaction score
Looks great. They have changed the rack and ladder since I ordered mine, but its mostly the same. I love mine.

What is that cross bar thing you have? That looks like an add on bar?

They have a removable cross bar, which will enable me to do a few things without committing to an additional bar at a fixed location: 1) locate it relatively close to the front support bar (about 32") to accommodate my skybox; 2) move to the very back when carrying a boat or other object that requires it to sit up and level to the front; or 3) remove it altogether.

to8nbeyond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey Doug,

Do you have any pics of your rack with the skybox added? I just got my rack installed and I have a Thule box. I'm wondering if the bar you're talking about would work for me.

to8nbeyond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s great, thanks. How much did they charge for the bar? I don’t see it listed on their site.

This gives some nice options. I like the box but there are things that just don’t fit in it. I like the option of using that and/or something like others have done with pelican cases.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have a removable cross bar, which will enable me to do a few things without committing to an additional bar at a fixed location: 1) locate it relatively close to the front support bar (about 32") to accommodate my skybox; 2) move to the very back when carrying a boat or other object that requires it to sit up and level to the front; or 3) remove it altogether.
That's a nice feature. Be good if it was a quick disconnect clamp or something so you didn't have to get a wrench out every time you moved it, but I like that it covers both needs.

If you put a long boat on will it hit the wind deflector? Looks like the rack would serve my needs as long as I could find some pads for the cross bar and front edge (for SUPs and such).

Douglas225

Reaction score
That's a nice feature. Be good if it was a quick disconnect clamp or something so you didn't have to get a wrench out every time you moved it, but I like that it covers both needs.

If you put a long boat on will it hit the wind deflector? Looks like the rack would serve my needs as long as I could find some pads for the cross bar and front edge (for SUPs and such).
The wind faring does protrude ever so slightly above the front top rail. However, a small piece of one by wood strip zip tied will likely fix the issue... I have not toted a boat or canoe yet. I will keep you posted once the time comes

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this post. I have been lurking around in the rack idea for a long time now and have always liked the Voyager - regular or low. Believe the Voyager installs without the need for the factory rails (?). Anything interesting about the install?

Douglas225

Reaction score
Thanks for this post. I have been lurking around in the rack idea for a long time now and have always liked the Voyager - regular or low. Believe the Voyager installs without the need for the factory rails (?). Anything interesting about the install?

glad to be of assistance. like i mentioned above, i would have gone with the standard size if height would not have been an issue. with the low profile, i can fit in my garage and, furthermore, since i am less than 8', it enables to go in some parking structures when carrying the skybox.

to answer your question, the voyager does not require factory rails, which was a big selling point for me. you simply remove the existing plugs, install the spacer bolts and place the rack on top - it is very straight forward. the only, apparent, tricky/difficult part would be the plastic plug removal; however, that is quite common to any roof rack/rail (depending on age of vehicle and where it resided) install and has been covered quite a few other places here on the forum. five of the first six came out relatively easy for us, but the last one had to be removed with a drill bit, etc..

good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72