NEW - What to look for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am brand new to this brand and this forum. This looks like one of the more active forums for LR. My fiance and I just leased a new LR4 yesterday. Wasn't really planning on a new car at this point but the deal kind of fell into our lap and the numbers lined up as far as our trade in ('06 X3) Anyways, we will be taking delivery of it tomorrow and I was just wondering what I should look for or be sure to ask before driving off the lot. I am going to ask for an iPod cable and floor mats. Would like to think they can do one or the other. Don't know if I will get a good reception to this or laughs in my face but it is worth a shot to ask. A little irritated that it does not come with an iPod cable but I'll deal with that.

Also wanted to clarify a maintenance issue... on the LR website it says first service is free within the first year OR 15K miles. The dealership they don't do that anymore. I call BS!! Any advice or thoughts on that?

Sorry if this first post is a little all over the place... just excited and want to learn as much as I can about this new product (above and beyond pre sale research)

Thanks.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
You can find an online version of the LR4 Owner's Handbook here.
Go through it and look for this symbol and description.

Screenshot2011-04-17at44754PM.png

It represents settings for the LR4 that can only be modified by the dealer. Go through the whole manual and make a list of the dealer-only settings and your preferences and tell the dealer that you would like to have the settings adjusted free of charge before you take delivery. Typically it would cost you between $60 and $75 to have it done otherwise.

Congratulations on your new Rover.

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I will definitely take a look. Do the dealers usually balk at these types of requests? Are there any settings in particular that I should think about having set a certain way? Or is it all just a personal preference thing?

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum,
You can ask them to turn on the signature LEDs and the DRLs. You can have the car "chirp" when you lock and unlock. All these are personal preferences. Make sure you have them activate what you want before you pick up the car since there will not be a charge. If you decide to activate something at a later date they will charge about $75. My iPod cable was included in my 2010. You can absolutely ask for them to throw stuff in. I worked the all weather mats, the side steps, the mud flaps and the clear bra into the deal.
You need to negotiate that prior to finalizing the deal and signing any paperwork.
congrats on the new LR4. I am sure you will LOVE it.

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good. Yeah tomorrow is the "paperwork" day. I"m hoping that takes all of about 10-15 min and the rest of the time is the sales guy showing me the ins and outs of the vehicle and programming my preferences. Thanks for the reply. Can't wait for tomorrow!!

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Sounds good. Yeah tomorrow is the "paperwork" day. I"m hoping that takes all of about 10-15 min and the rest of the time is the sales guy showing me the ins and outs of the vehicle and programming my preferences. Thanks for the reply. Can't wait for tomorrow!!
There are some user-programmable settings that you and your salesperson could go through, but the settings I'm talking about will require a technician who hooks a laptop up to your truck.

Go through the manual. Look at the settings. Make a list.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I got the ipod cable with the 2010 model year LR4. I know they charge for it now, which I have mixed feelings about. Most manufacturers charge for an ipod integration unit, so I guess Land Rover is not out of line charging for it. It is a little curious that they included it one year and then make you buy it the next. I have seen it before with Land Rover. 2009 LR3 had the roof rack installed, but in 2010 you had to purchase it.

Rob

ndrenfro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They should also include the 15k service for free. I just had mine done a couple weeks ago at my dealer.

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They should also include the 15k service for free. I just had mine done a couple weeks ago at my dealer.

Yeah that's what I thought. I initially was asking them if I could maybe prepay for service at a discounted price. That is what we did on my fiance's Audi Q5. LR apparently does not offer any type of service plan other than to take a large portion of our hard earned money when it needs servicing. But I did see on LR website that the first service was complimentary. However the Sales MGR at the dealership said they don't offer that anymore. This was before I read it on the website so I will be reminding him of this today when I go pick it up. By the way did you wait until 15k to get your first service? I am coming from an X3 so I am familiar with the whole oil change/service every 15k miles but I had opted to pay for one myself in between usually around 7500. I have read differing opinions on this board and others on this topic. I am probably leaning more towards not waiting that long.

ndrenfro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt wait that long. I took it in and paid for an oil change at 7500 miles. They charged me $135 for it. They asked me if i wanted the 7500 to be my free one, and i said no - I'll wait for the full 15k checkup. Then i just took it in for the 15k checkup and it was free. I will prob keep getting the oil changed every 7500 miles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635