No 4th (OD) on 1997 Disco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dragon

Reaction score
My 97 Disco started to shift funny, right after I changed the coolant and thermostat. Well of course some water ran out of the thermostat housing and down the back of the engine. Get her topped off and I go test drive. Gone less than a mile, it's shifting funny. So I turn around and go home. Pull tranny dip stick and it's foamy pink. Air or Water I think. So I drain it out. Refill still foamy. Drain it again. Let sit for a day drain some more. Refill it, still foamy. So I drain it again, wait two day drain some more, wait a week. (I went out of town) Drain some more. Refill again. Not too bad looking, but I take it to oil change place and they flush it with synthetic. On the way no 4th gear. Still no 4th afterward. I drain it again, drop the pan and replace the filter. (Maybe water messed up filter?) Still no 4th. 1-2 2-3 real strong good shifts, just like before this happened. Reverse fine too. I took it out and got on the e-way. 70 Mph 3400 RPM, about 400 too high. RAVE says 3rd to 4th valve, kick down valve or clutch. None sound good.

Scratching my head on how water got into it. I know it had to have happened when I changed coolant. Supposed to be able to go into rivers and stuff.

Any ideas? Thanks.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I have no idea how you got water in the Transmission changing the coolant, but It sounds like an electrical issue, if I recall correctly (I may be thinking another vehicle) the rovers torque converter is electrically activated.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge