noise when turning to the left

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wineo5

Reaction score
Thanks in advance to anyone that reads and helps. I purchased a 2005 lr3 used for my wife, and we have only had it about a 1000 miles now has 57000 and it make a wining noise only when turning to the left. when i first heard the noise i was thinking it was a brake sensor. but it makes the noise when the truck is a a stop. i does not make the noise when you turn the truck to the right. Please forward any ideas because i will have to fix it my self.

This is the first lr3 we have purchased and we really like the truck, i would l\also ask if there is a book or something that i might need to have to do some of the service on this truck myself?

Thanks again for your time and look for to working with the site.

ChesapeakeRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are we talking full steering lock to the left? If so, i may be caused by the extra strain on the power steering pump

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my pump just went out at 10K (no biggie) . . . . but there was a kinda grinding noise when turned fuul L or R . . .

wineo5

Reaction score
Thanks again, I think the wining might be in the truck maybe in the stering colum. When I get her back to the house I will check that. Also if it is the power st. Pump can you give me a idea of the price on that? The noise is anytime turning to the left not at full turn to left.

ChesapeakeRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my pump just went out at 10K (no biggie) . . . . but there was a kinda grinding noise when turned fuul L or R . . .

What year is your truck? I have an 08' and just rolled past 16k, and have had no issues thus far (Knock on Wood)

seanFLA

Reaction score
I have an idea what it might be. I had a similar issue with my RRS last year. Both the RRS and LR3 are similar cars. There is an additive put into the power steering fluid on these trucks. The power steering fluid is supposed to be a five-year fluid. Since your truck is used, possibly the previous owners did a power steering fluid change (or flush) somewhere and replaced it with the fluid, but not the correct additive. When I took my RRS to the dealership they did a flush and re-added fluid with the new additive and ****...that whine went away and I have not had an issue since! I might suggest giving that a try before you start replacing power steering pumps.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nico3dd