noisey lifters on right side..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

dmoore1200

Ive got noisey lifters on right side...but only gets loud under load...

will the seafoam treatment help this..and where would i put it in to quite them down, the crankcase? (also..how long can i drive with it in before changing the oil?

96 Disco Se

J

JackUnion

Do you get the noise when it first starts up cold? does it then go away after a second or two on startup? ........ Most likely Lifters. You may be able to clean the system up? one of the guy's on here will tell you how to go about that or you may have to replace them (Rimmer Bros carry them much cheaper than LR)
IF not and your just getting it under load .......then it's possible you may be looking at a bit of play in the cam shaft and you may need a cam button fitted, it just takes up the play in the cam, LR were doing these under some kind of recall at one point I think but I don't think your covered anymore! but it's only a small cheap part from LR and not too long a job to fit.

D

discomike

So how many miles on your 96? How often do you change the oil and do you ever flush the engine out?
Mike J.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could also be caused by sludge in the oil pan clogging up the strainer at the end of the intake.

D

discomike

I agree, that is why I was trying to see how many miles he had on it.
The other problem is he says it is only one the right side, I am concerned about that and would lean towards a mechanical problem also.
Mike J.

D

dmoore1200

its got 118,000

no sludge..it all cleaned out..

It does it more when cold..not as noticeable when engine warm.

really noticeable under load.

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure its valvetrain noise and not a cracked exhaust manifold, blown exhaust manifold gasket, or loose plug? These sometimes mimic valvetrain noise and do get louder upon throttle.

D

dmoore1200

well..i did notice one if teh studs is gone that connect the flange to teh pipe...now that you mention it

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the motor is cold, start it up and place your hand around the exhaust manifold and feel for leaks. The gasket that mounts the manifold to the exhaust pipe is also prone to leak. Sometimes you can tighten the bolts for a quick fix. Good luck

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112