Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6SpeedBowtie

Reaction score
We put a lot of miles on our Rover. We run these tired in the winter, and the performance difference in snow over OEM is drastic to say the least. This will be our winter/snow tire moving forward, and highly recommend them to others.

Our first few months in the snow with the factory tires, we were wondering why the vehicle was SO bad in the white stuff. After the tire change, we know this thing will go anywhere.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone could comment on how the WRG2 performs. Would not expect it to do as well as R2 of course. I like it on my V10 Touareg for handling high speed desert road as well as CO snow pack dirt.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone could comment on how the WRG2 performs. Would not expect it to do as well as R2 of course. I like it on my V10 Touareg for handling high speed desert road as well as CO snow pack dirt.

They are excellent. Have not used on the LR4 but that is likely the tire I will use when I get a new set. In CO with AWD, it is a great all around winter tire with better wet weather performance as well. Won't do quite as well on ice but otherwise a great option.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What pressure do you all set your tires at?
I purchased the R2 SUV 255/65R18 which I got installed on the Compos.
Installer set them at 36/46 (front/rear).
I changed to 42/44.
They're rated 115R XL

Thank you

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I usually only have them on the car from November to March. I can't remember ever checking tire pressure. I'd go with the settings of the installer or whatever is recommended on the tire. Why over-inflate?

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR Manhattan had my 20s Michelin inflated to 44psi... under that they'd flat spot when parked for a few days.
Installer both under inflated front and over inflated rear.
Nokia recommended OEM inflation, so 38/42 with 0.2 bar extra when temperature gets under 32F.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
R2 is a great tire, Have them on my BMW 535xi wagon for winter only set. Never any hydroplaning issues. Great grip in actual snow and slush. BMW factory 18"x8" wheel with oversized tire 245/45x18 100XL. Funny, my tire has a similar or higher proportional weight rating as some of you people putting on a heavy ass LR3/4 LOL 1800 lbs on 4000 lb car vs 2680 lbs on 6000 lb LR.

I will ONLY use LT E load range tire on the LR3.

Summer standard set: Michelin MS2 E 275/65x18
Summer "explorer" set: BFG AT KO2 E 275/65x18

Winter standard set: Michelin MS2 winter E 275/65x18
Winter "go anywhere" set: Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2 E 245/75x17
(these allow for RUD 4x4 chains as well for deep snow and full clearance in fender lining)

Have also had fantastic results with Nokian WRG2 on our 2008 Audi S4 Avant. Had killer grip in winter snow and also lasted several years. Moved to summer use once 50% worn and then ran Pirelli Sottozero 240 winter, next winter set is a new last batch WRG2 I picked up on sale going on for this winter. The Pirelli are now the summer set with one more season left. Will buy summer all season spring 2018 probably that new Michelin with the funky wearing depth rain channel technology.

I kind of dig tires ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM