Nokian Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They might have great traction in snow and wet pavement....I'm just wondering how well they will wear on a ~6000 pound LR3! Let us know! 5000 miles and my Goodyears looked okay. 25,000, not so much....30,000....toast.

I hope you're reporting great results at 60,000 miles, thorgal! I want to get these tires once my Synchrones wear out!

60.000 miles????I hope,but in doubt...
My GW Silent Armors wore off at 30000.They where just to dangerous to drive( I have explained this issue few months a go) .

24GOLD,why would I choose Nokian over Michelines or Pirellis? Probably For the same reason you chose LR over domestic car.Different strokes for different folks.World market is full of great tire options,you just have to research it and give them a try, besides they are not all season,which usually means good for three seasons,but truly ALL WEATHER tires,with inside half of the tire winter oriented and outside thread for summer performance.I pushed them to their limits over winter and they not only performed beautifully in packed,fresh and deep snow ,but also in nasty slush at 70.mph .Great in rain and dry pavement too.I just have to wait for a summer behavior.That is all.

mbc

Reaction score
Just put the WRG2s on my HSE

You cant go wrong with the Nokians.

Had the Synchrones on and loved them, but during the last winter storm in NY in early March, I had to drive in the fresh powder and almost had an accident, couldn't stop on an sloping road. When I changed them had 6/32 left.

Decided immediately to put on the WRG2s -- have been great so far. I will say that they do not handle as well at the Synchrones in normal conditions, but happy to give up a bit of handling for all round (and stellar winter) performance.

Also have the WR's on my e39 540. Nokian all the way.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well in Seattle it's wet WAY more often than it's dry. The Synchrones have been good but I also have had snow experience in them that make me wish for something else...but what can you expect from a road-biased tire?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They might have great traction in snow and wet pavement....I'm just wondering how well they will wear on a ~6000 pound LR3! Let us know! 5000 miles and my Goodyears looked okay. 25,000, not so much....30,000....toast.

I hope you're reporting great results at 60,000 miles, thorgal! I want to get these tires once my Synchrones wear out!

I've had the car version wrg2 on my 4000 lb Audi for two seasons and they have been amazing but I would not suggest using these in the south in the summer as they do seem softer than the bfg at ko's, which of course last quite long and are designed differently. They supposedly have some cool composition though that works well in winter and all year so I'm not totally sure what the limits are. They would be softer though cornering in 90 degree temps for sure.

The size for my audi are fairly pricey, $300 or so each, so I remove them in the spring to get the most use long term and retain the bite for when it's needed.

If someone is going to use the lr3 as a mini-van, then the nokians and all these other all seasons are fine I'm sure, but there is nothing like the added security of a solid tire like the bfg at ko, nitto tg, etc, even if it's just protection in town from curb hopping ;)

(btw, my lr3 rolling weight is 8000 lbs on trips, hence the insistence on such a tire for myself)

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My plan would be Nokians for around town, and MT/Rs for off-road...as it goes now with the Michelins.

The fairly mild WA weather ought to be conducive to using the Nokians. Thanks for the info, jwest.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if there is anything like it now but my favorite all-arounder type tire was the Michelin XPC that came stock on the Discovery I and II for a while. It had nice separated blocks with some sipes too. They never made it bigger than the 255/55x18 though from what I recall.

I honestly wonder if the wrg2 will hold up in terms of mileage on the front of the lr3, or any other suv in that weight range. The say it's for suv's of course.

Question, why wouldn't you just get the bfg and have Discount tire sipe it? They last SO long and you could even use them on most trail runs, if not all, unless you want better mud performance. Not in 19" though so is that why - a "summer" set of 19's instead of two sets of 18's?

I don't know about you but years ago I got tired of swapping wheels even with power tools.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that question is to me, then the answer is "sorta." I like my 19s and I like having the rig "stock" or as close to it as possible for 95% of its life. It's my daily driver...to me it performs best with stock sized tires on it (on the street). Off road I can't complain at all about my set-up with the rod-mod and 32" MT/Rs.

I guess I just like to have the best of both worlds (of performance) and for now I don't mind the swapping-out process. It is a PITA but it's my workout for that day! I only do it 6 - 10 times a year, so not that big of a deal.

I didn't really see where I was going as I began modding and or accessorizing my rig. It was an evolution more than a transformation. Skid plates then Coopers on ugly chrome rims (inexpensive!) then re-enforcement of running boards then MT/Rs and rod-mod then LR rims instead of ugly chromies then sliders.

Maybe I'm finally done???

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had them for over a year...

They ride great, perform really well in the snow and ice and seem to wear well. I have well over 10,000 miles on them and am very pleased.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like my 19s and I like having the rig "stock" or as close to it as possible for 95% of its life. It's my daily driver...to me it performs best with stock sized tires on it (on the street).

They do handle better on stock sizes for sure and street tires have less rolling resistance too for better mpg.

Yesterday I happened across a weigh-in platform as we went to get some mulch and pretty much empty the lr3 weighed 7140. "empty" being without all the stuff taken on a trip but there was some recovery gear that lives in the 3rd row foot wells and of course the rack and awnings and bolted on items.

I think it would be interesting to have the sliders remade the same design but from aluminum as they are the single most heavy item. Then remove the ARB and install the winch inside the stock bumper as is often done in Europe.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4