non-LR4-related question, but asking for info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackkyxu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have a LR4, and this post is related to PA safety inspection.

Here is the story

My wife did a brake pad and motor job from a car service shop (she did not check the review which is quite bad) in PA on front wheels during the safety inspection (no job no pass, you know), and they claimed they put on new OEM rotor and new EBC greenstuff pad about 1.5 years ago

Recently, THE SHOP in ATL told me the front pad is 5mm, and the rotor is warped. I know LR is not friendly to braking system, but I did expect the lifetime should be longer than 1.5 years, especially the rotor.

I doubt whether they put on what was charged to us, and I really think they were leveraging the state safety inspection into a lot of unnecessary and fraudulent mechanic repairs.

so my question is:

1. do you think the 1.5 years is normal (I know, I know, my driving pattern, I can say I am not that gas-flooring guy, and average yearly mileage is less than 8k; a ceramic pad on my Grand Cherokee can last for more than 5 years if the same conditions)

2. If it is not normal, I am not here to get money back, but I want to file some compliant to get "justice". What could I do? file to PA DMV, any link?

Thanks

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would focus on Milage, some of the members here are getting around 15K miles for both pads and rotors, others get more. I would do a search and you will find a few threads about brakes, the kinds people use and the milage they get. It really just depends how you drive and where you drive. Coasting on the Hwy and driving 90% in stop and go traffic in town are very different "15K miles." Gas flooring doesn't effect brakes;) Pressing the brake pedal effects brakes.

If you can't tell what the brands are by looking into your wheels, your LR mechanic should be able to let you know what was installed. It might say Ferodo instead of Land Rover on pads. They are an OEM manufacturer.

jhartz

Reaction score
5mm isn't all that bad in a year and half and about 12K miles. What is the car? If an LR 4 or Range Rover Sport, these are heavy cars. How sure are you that the rotors are bad? Do you feel a pulsing when braking? Lots of service shops are hell bent on replacing rotors at the same time they do the pads. I think a set of Land Rover OEM rotors are good for at least two sets of pads. At least that's what I have found in two Range Rover sports (one, a 08 SC kit with Brembos) and three LR3s.

When I had my current 13 RRS HSE inspected in VA, the tech said I had 3 mm left on the front pad and needed new rotors - 28K miles. When I checked, 5mm, and rotors clean as whistle with no runout.

jackkyxu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5mm isn't all that bad in a year and half and about 12K miles. What is the car? If an LR 4 or Range Rover Sport, these are heavy cars. How sure are you that the rotors are bad? Do you feel a pulsing when braking? Lots of service shops are hell bent on replacing rotors at the same time they do the pads. I think a set of Land Rover OEM rotors are good for at least two sets of pads. At least that's what I have found in two Range Rover sports (one, a 08 SC kit with Brembos) and three LR3s.

When I had my current 13 RRS HSE inspected in VA, the tech said I had 3 mm left on the front pad and needed new rotors - 28K miles. When I checked, 5mm, and rotors clean as whistle with no runout.

Yes LR4.

No, I do not feel any pulsing or hear any noise when braking. The SHOP in ATL is quite reputed so I basically I took what they said. I did feel the rotor myself with finger, it is not silky smooth, but there is no significant grooves. I may be wrong as I am not veteran on car repairs.

I know EBC greenstuff is quite soft and I hate that dust too, would ceramic be better or at least be friendly to rotor?

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We get about 20,000 miles out of rotors and pads. If you turn the factory rotors they tend to warp before you need pads again, so I just replace them all at the same time.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 4 with 84k miles in Marietta last December with 13mm left on OEM pads. I just replaced all pads/rotors with EBC brand about 3k miles ago at 97k miles. I drive A LOT for work; this being the reason I purchased a higher mileage one so as to not worry about depreciation. Which shop do you go to in Atlanta? The previous owner used Autohause, a known LR Indy shop outside of Marietta. I was lucky enough to give them a call for accurate history of maintence.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635