Not a happy ending

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shermie

Reaction score
I am writing here so as to find some kind of closure to what has been a nightmare ownership of a brand new 2002 Freelander SE V6.

It's late June 2007 and staring at the $297.00 I paid for the diagnosis of my Freelander transmission problem (yup the dreaded F4 on the dashboard.) Yes right under the payment field is the detailed repair estimate for a whopping $9000 dollars of parts and labour.

I maintained my 2002 SE Freelander as if it was a cherished pearl. Always the Oil change, Air Filter, regular maintenance, new tyres, LRN402 changed at 50kmiles, timing belt changed, transfer and differential fluids changed, on and on and on. Thousands of dollars in repairs on things replaced more than once under warranty, etc.

After 5 and a half years, My 2002 SE V6 Jatco Freelander is now basically falling apart on me. This problem started to happen as soon as the rear wheels cleared the LR dealers lot on that fateful 12/31/01 sunny afternoon at Land Rover San Juan.

Innumerable and systematic quality issues make this modern day dinosaur an automotive flop, right of there with an Edsel, the Ford Granada and the Pinto. At Land Rover all model cars are problematic and in a rather alarming way.

Poor parts quality and minimalistic design on everything other than the structure and suspension, makes this unfortunate Euro SUV and sad reminder of what a glossy brochure can do to an unsuspecting buyer.

These LR guys now want $9000 dollars to fix my 2002 SE Freelander SE, the blue book value is less than that!

The list of woes is way too long to post here. But the smell of warm Dexcool is something I want to forget as soon as possible, especially after 5 years of such a fragrant Land Rover automobile leaking coolant and no problem found only to pay $1500 to finally fix a leaky heater core that probably was leaking from day 1. The leaking dexcool burned-out my Air-con blower motor.

My friend from Maryland called me the other day, said he bought an LR3. I asked him if he has read the consumer reports and checked out web sites to see what people are experiencing with the LR3... I see tyre wear issues looming for him. He suddenly sounded worried and replied "should I have read the reviews?"

You be the judge...... I just may park my car with the keys and window open to check to see if someone does me the ultimate favor and drives this disaster away from me.

I just eliminated the insurance other then personal responsibility. A Crash would be a blessing. Or a trip down a steep hill that drops 50 feet into a river.... I am open to suggestions.

Freelander...... Euro Trash in the finest sense of the term. The pure definition of British quality control. Sellafield is now more worrisome to me than before my Land Rover experience.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your issues... unfortunately the Freelander has not be LR's best product line.

Shermie

Reaction score
I have changed LRN-402 twice myself, once at 50kmiles and the other time was at 68kmiles. On the first LRN-402 change the condition of the spent fluid was shocking. I live in the tropics where heat and moisture rule.

The 60k Transmission Fluid interval specified by LR is not correct for my climate. I would de-rate this to a maximum of 40kmiles between fluid changes and maybe even make this 1/year to be safe.

This weekend I decided to print-out the Jatco Transmission Service procedure again to check the LRN-402 fluid level. I did spend about 20 minutes under the car making sure that the 5mm allen level plug was in fact the correct plug. A prior LR bulletin warns about the possibility of loosening transmission adjusters and not the level plug.

I started my Freelander from cold and after about 10 minutes indling I unscrewed the level plug and a few Oz. of LRN-402 came out. I used my Fluke DVM temp sensor to monitor the fluid temp as I added new LRN-402 little by little. It's important that the temp of the LRN-402 coming out of the transimission be between 35º and 45ºC so the level is correct when one is done. I added some LRN-402 and watched the brown smelly old fluid come out little by little.

After the temp reached 40ºC I once again added some LRN-402 and put the gearbox through all gears; R, D, 1, 2 and 4. Then Park, and once again through the gears.

After the dripping stopped, I replaced the 5mm Hex drain screw (of course after thorougly cleaning out any debris, and put the rubber plug back into the transmission filler hole.) and took my 2002 SE out for a test.

Smooth changes but still the F4 and Traction Control warning under heavy acceleration. But I now have a smoother operating Jatco than before.

At least I know that the LRN-402 I have is a mix of old a new fluid with some life left.

The Freelander is not a user friendly car to service as it really requires one to connect it to a computer (TestBook) and I don't have $12,000 to buy one of these.

My advice; stay away from this car if you can. I pampered mine and depite the $9000 USD the dealer wants from me to fix my car and replace the Jatco, in Step-Tronic manual mode I have a functional car that does not slip between 3rd and 4th.

Funny how this car always had a 'hard-shift" problem. And funnier how the same gears change that slips into an F4 indication is the same gears that 'hard-shifted' when new.

My conclusion: There must be something physically wrong with the Jatco's as all 2002 US model Freelanders required a patch to fix the hard shift, and the patch was not always a cure.

The Freelander is an interesting attempt to make a vehicle with good looks and plenty of promise. Unfortunately it ended up being a lemon car to most and a good car to a very small few who happened to be lucky.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo