OBDII Converters thread same as OBDI?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi yall..

Well i am utterly sick of trying to spot cheap OBDI converters for me '94. So i figured that it may be possible to just fit upstream only and plug downstream one with some bolt. But question is - can anyone confirm that thread is same on them?

Or shall i go route of nastiness and cut pipes past holes for sensors, reusing old ones? That sound from right converter draws me nuts (almost as is someone keep grinding big metal can with slow speed from time to time..)

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If I am reading this correctly you have a bad Cat convertor? If this is the case, on the '94 don't you only have the 2 O2 sensors? Why would you need to plug the downstream ones? I guess I am a little confused by your post.

But if you are just looking for inexpensive Cat Convertors try here:

Link for Cheap Cat Convertors

If you are looking for O2 sensors cheap, that is a hard thing to find as of yet.... I do know that they are not they normal every day sized O2 sensor...I forget size I have had a headache all day sorry.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joey - b/c OBDII has two sensor holes (up and down stream), and for OBDI i need only one. So i figured i just will plug downstream one with bolt and gasket :) I recently replaced me O2 sensors so that isnt on list, fortunately.. :) Thanks for link.
I am just trying to save headache of cutting pipe and welding something on it, if i can get convertor with sensor holes... Then again - i ssppse its not that hard.. Never done any exhaust kind of stuff before - but there is always first time for things :)
I remember you been replacing yours with parts from that site.. Can you remember part numbers you used? Would be pity to order something and then realize its 2 inches wider :)

Last edited:

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
That is what I was thinking. Is your Y-Pipe assy ok ? If so get some cheap cats and weld them yourself? Or maybe @ the local welding shop? You can always run without cats .. Just Kidding. I know this is illegal and bad, very bad. Or it is my understanding (despite the noise from the broken cat), that you can just leave it for awhile? I know that after time the internal structure of the cats i.e. the honeycomb will break down and eventfully come out the tail pipe. This is all providing that it does not destroy the muffler first..

FWIW: Joey has done a great deal of exhaust work so has Moose .. I am just going from my past experiences with Y-Pipe/Cat replacement. I am sure Joey remembers my posts from Jan 2004 when both my cats went south :ahhhhh:

Last edited:

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i am about to rip away muffler anyway - i had it replaced in March but dude made terrible job and generic muffle leaks like leaky thing (literally - i can see them black spots around welds..).

Was thinking about getting to local autoshop and getting cherry bomb muffler - anything is better than that crap that i got right now.. And its like 30$ anyway..

I never done any welding, but i sppse i can use cold welds and clamps to hold assembly together... Biggest reason why i wanted y-pipe is to avoid ripping things apart, to have plug-n-play solution and so i can take old one off and FINALLY do transmission filter service :)

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Yes Serg, I know what you mean about the trans and the Y-Pipe problem. Lovely pain in the A** to have to drop the whole Y-Pipe assy (@ least on my 1998 that is the setup) to remove the trans and service it.. Ect ect .. Grrrrr! I was thinking about enrolling in some welding classes in the late fall at the local Tech Center. The classes are really cheap.. and what valuable knowledge I would gain!

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad cats

Dosen't the OB11 that came out in 96 have 4 O2 sensors, 2 before the cats and 2 after? The dealer broke my cats which rattled on the 95 Disco after rear main oil leak repairs (only 2 O2 sensors).With $1,300 for repairs i installed Car Sound ( high flow) converters. They weld in easy. Month later i did smog
(Calif.), 4 of 100, 2500 rpm test,5 of 180, both for HC, Co was .01% and 0.000 %
With Stainless Borla exhaust this Disco sounds like a 289 Mustang with glass packs. This is a four year project making a Rover run right. Carl....o&o>......

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
beemer said:
Dosen't the OB11 that came out in 96 have 4 O2 sensors, 2 before the cats and 2 after?

Yep. NAS models from 96 onwards (from 4.0L engine) all OBDII, requiring 4 sensors.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carl, which one of 94000 series you got? 35? How was the performance?
I dont care for sound, in fact i like it quiet, but i wouldnt mind performace wee bit better.. :)

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
replacement cats, high flow

Uzbad, if it's cats your talking about they are flat like the one on the right side on the Rover. Found production date codes and no model #'s. They are high flow and there was only a "detectable" difference with them vs "gutted" rover cats. With the 4.6 motor the factory cats were restrictive vs Car Sounds. I've got Borla (cat back) SS exhaust, it sounds like a 289 Mustang with glasspacks. A drone at 21-2,400 right at highway cruise speed, must add a resonator at the rear, it has the Borla rumble on deceleration. The exhaust sounds great with the 5-speed. Carl....................o&o>..........................

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72