Official 2014 Changes to LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess it's official news now - thanks for posting that Umberto. After all of the speculation, and some folks on the list mocking those of us who ran out to get a 2013, the V8 is gone. I have to admit, I am a bit surprised actually, and rather sad. The 5.0 V8 is such a brilliant engine.

It looks as though Terrain Response and the adjustable suspension are still standard, but not sure how useful mud ruts or rock climbing mode will be without the 2-speed transfer case?

I can see why Land Rover is moving in this direction (business-wise), as very few buyers actually utilize the full potential of the V8 or the two-speed transfer case, so why offer it in every vehicle when you can save money and offer (to be determined) better gas mileage. They seem to be pushing the single-speed transfer case scenario as their way of shedding weight, but isn't it only about 40 pounds? I will be very curious to read more about the new engine and how much better gas mileage it will actually get - this is still a very heavy vehicle.

I think the thing that makes me sad is that Land Rover (except on the LR2 and Evoque) always had a heritage of having the capability, even though very few people actually used it. As Count said, it does seem like the end of an era - the merging of Land Rover more into a mainstream market.

All I know is that I am beyond happy I got a 2013 and did not wait for the 2014 as I had originally planned.

With that said, I am looking forward to seeing more photos and the new LR4 in person.

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I think the general public will jump at the new 2014 LR4. Those who want more Land Rover heritage and the V8, well, it will make our 2010 to 2013 vehicle resale value go up.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I think the general public will jump at the new 2014 LR4. Those who want more Land Rover heritage and the V8, well, it will make our 2010 to 2013 vehicle resale value go up.

Who cares about resale, im never giving mine up!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2014 certainly doesn't sound like as good a deal as the 2013, that's for sure. You get a smaller displacement engine and a single speed transfer case for... slightly more money than last year's model? I guess you'll make up the difference in saved gas. Curious to see if the Heavy Duty package has increased in price now that it includes the 2-speed transfer case that used to be standard. The press release doesn't go into detail about option prices.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess it's official news now - thanks for posting that Umberto. After all of the speculation, and some folks on the list mocking those of us who ran out to get a 2013, the V8 is gone. I have to admit, I am a bit surprised actually, and rather sad. The 5.0 V8 is such a brilliant engine.

It looks as though Terrain Response and the adjustable suspension are still standard, but not sure how useful mud ruts or rock climbing mode will be without the 2-speed transfer case?

I can see why Land Rover is moving in this direction (business-wise), as very few buyers actually utilize the full potential of the V8 or the two-speed transfer case, so why offer it in every vehicle when you can save money and offer (to be determined) better gas mileage. They seem to be pushing the single-speed transfer case scenario as their way of shedding weight, but isn't it only about 40 pounds? I will be very curious to read more about the new engine and how much better gas mileage it will actually get - this is still a very heavy vehicle.

I think the thing that makes me sad is that Land Rover (except on the LR2 and Evoque) always had a heritage of having the capability, even though very few people actually used it. As Count said, it does seem like the end of an era - the merging of Land Rover more into a mainstream market.

All I know is that I am beyond happy I got a 2013 and did not wait for the 2014 as I had originally planned.

With that said, I am looking forward to seeing more photos and the new LR4 in person.

-David

I hate that LR has done all this consumer research (Deloitte-approach, value engineering mind-set) and decided to optionalize the transfer case. Especially on the LR4. Just because 90% of people don't use it, doesn't mean it didn't give people a peace-of-mind and provide an amazing value prop for LR as a brand. Can a sales person now say, when trying to off a LR without the transfer case, "This thing can go anywhere?" Nope, they can't - and they shouldn't...! And when they do tell this tale, and you know they will, to move 90% of these watered-down units off the lot to unbeknownst and uneducated consumers who think they're buying into the "go-anywhere Land Rover brand", and these things get stuck left-and-right, and these consumer-types (which is a HUGE web-savvy pool) voice their disappointment online --- pointing out the LR puffery, the brand will suffer a slow retail death which frankly LR cannot afford! The LR is now no different than the X5, Lexus RX, ML, etc.. I just don't get it. This silly thing called a transfer case was a major product differentiation from the competition.

This is like Swiss Army deciding to remove the fishing-hook from pocket knife to save a few bucks because 90% of people don't use them. Well, I have a Swiss Army knife, and although I don't use the fishing-hook, I know it's there if I ever need it in a dire situation!!! The same goes for the transfer case.

Last edited:

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The worst part about the t-case is that the HD pkg already is a unicorn for dealer optioned cars.

I think it will be very hard to find a stock or used '14 LR4 with a 2-speed t-case especially if the price goes up - and I don't see how it doesn't. I bet it will shoot to $1500 or even $2000. And at that point dealers will be even more hesitant to option it for a stock car.

But let's face it, people who care are in the minority.

I do think pre-2014's suitably optioned will hold their value well.

LR34

Reaction score
Can a sales person now say, when trying to off a LR without the transfer case, "This thing can go anywhere?"

Sure they can say it. They just can't add "...and get you back." I was able to drive my parents '75 Dodge wagon up a 6 foot packed snow bank. I just couldn't get back down.

It will be interesting to see how 2014 sales compare to 2013.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure, we may be the majority, but marketing and brand isn't.

I'll make another bet. I bet $50 dollars that within 1.5-years, the transfer-case becomes standard again on the upstream models, after LR marketing wakes up to the fact that they've blundered big time.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure they can say it. They just can't add "...and get you back." I was able to drive my parents '75 Dodge wagon up a 6 foot packed snow bank. I just couldn't get back down.

It will be interesting to see how 2014 sales compare to 2013.

I think sales will hold steady and/or increase for early '14 but slowly subside by June '14 and then decrease substantially into '15 where LR will be forced to re-strategize their position before being spun-off from Jaguar to yet another holding company who will attempt to revise the brand and fail.

They blew it! They had amazing momentum that holds true to the original recipe and they f'd it up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM