Oh no

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

Amir

I will be returning the loaner tomorrow to pickup my car from service, so out of courtesy, I decided to wash the car before returning as we have had some snow here a few days ago. Just didn't realize that the wiper was on auto setting. As the car went thru the car wash both wiper blades broke. The broken wipers kept moving as the car went thru the washing area so one of them also created a scratch on the windshield. Feel so bad and I will offer to pay for the damage tomorrow. Any ideas how much the wipers and the screen would cost. Can't believe this happened...

Echoes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be honest with the dealer, and tell them what happened.

It sounds like it was not your fault. If I was the dealer, I would understand.

Can't hurt.

A

alanmeyer

Amir said:
I will be returning the loaner tomorrow to pickup my car from service, so out of courtesy, I decided to wash the car before returning as we have had some snow here a few days ago. Just didn't realize that the wiper was on auto setting. As the car went thru the car wash both wiper blades broke. The broken wipers kept moving as the car went thru the washing area so one of them also created a scratch on the windshield. Feel so bad and I will offer to pay for the damage tomorrow. Any ideas how much the wipers and the screen would cost. Can't believe this happened...

When I purchased my LR3, the salesman warned me about something similar. Basically, the wiper setting should normally be left in the off position, and only be set to auto-mode if its raining. Seems inconsistent with the whole point of it.

I agree that you should just be straight with the dealer. Chances are that their insurance will cover it.

Cheers,
-Alan

R

roverdawg

Dealer might be understanding or maybe your ins. will cover. I had a rock break my windshield and had it replaced for $780 (HSE heated windshield). A groove or scratch should be able to be repaired by a Novus or similar process for under $110. Wiper blades are something like $19.95 ea.

F

flowner

If they want to bill you excessively, I would insist they file a claim with your insurance company. If you think the amount reasonable I would pay them in cash.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnKel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alanmeyer said:
When I purchased my LR3, the salesman warned me about something similar. Basically, the wiper setting should normally be left in the off position, and only be set to auto-mode if its raining. Seems inconsistent with the whole point of it.

I agree that you should just be straight with the dealer. Chances are that their insurance will cover it.

Cheers,
-Alan
Alan

How is that inconsistant ??? If it starts to rain wipers come on , If you go into a car wash wipers come on, if you leave them in auto and start up after heavy snow or freezing rain wipers come on ... makes sense to use auto setting only when inclement weather is predicted.
Others may know more, and I could be wrong however:smile:

Cheers
John

A

alanmeyer

JohnKel said:
How is that inconsistant ???

John,

I know that it makes *some* sense, especially in light of what just happened to an LR3 in a car wash. However, think about how the AUTO headlights work. You can just simply leave it in auto-mode all the time. i.e. You don't have to normally leave auto-mode off, and turn it on selectively.

It just seems inconsistent to have an auto-mode that is normally disabled. I hope that answers your question.

-Alan

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is hilarious! Not having the miraculous auto wipers, I didn't know this. You mean they actually tell you to MANUALLY turn on the AUTO mode when inclement weather comes??? It sort of defeats the whole (inane) idea of it in the first place.
Amir, sorry about your mishap. The dealer really ought to understand though. I wouldn't go in terribly apologetic actually. Just tell them their silly system should have CIT, or carwash identifying technology.

H

Houm_WA

I normally leave the wipers in the rain-sensing position. It is pretty cool...the other day I drove to work and there was a serious rain shower. After parking I realized that I'd never actually flipped the switch...it was automatic and that day, became an afterthought.

...I just don't want my next "afterthought" to be "damn, I should've turned those wipers to off before entering that carwash!"

Amir, I'm sorry that happened to you, but it won't be in vain. I'm chaning my pattern of behavior on that !!

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You washed a loaner? They have a guy... he waits for people to bring loaners back so he can clean and wash them. Are you trying to put him out of work? :)

Amir, this seals it, you're a weird guy! I like you...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM