Oil change - how often?

oil change - how often

• with Synthetic, every 7500 miles works just fine

Votes: 26 86.7%
  • 7500 miles? no way. every 5000 miles or less

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdodkin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7.5k at the dealers - I provide my own Mobil1 5W30 SUV

Shark_LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in longevity i see more issues caused by coolant, brake fluid, power steering, fuel filter/system and trans fluid neglect then by engine oil issues. and the oil filter can get skipped every other change. depends on the engine too, how cleanly it's running and driving conditions (heat/dust/length of trips).

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to bring my own oil to dealer for next time oil change. How much do I need? Thanks - Brian

cdodkin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8 quarts of 5/30w for an oil change.

I just provide two of the large Mobil1 jugs - and tell the service greeter to include it in the notes for the service.

zdas04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, the manufacturer's recommendations have a BUNCH of safety factor built in. Remember, if the recommended service is done as scheduled then for the first 50k any problem is LR's. They wouldn't take that risk if there was much risk to it. So I have the dealer do the service every 7.5k (and have them put in the oil that LR is paying for) and my first LR3 never had a single lubrication related problem when I traded it at 50k, and my second one has never had any problem (at 23k).

This junk about changing the oil at 5k, 3k, every year, bring your own oil, etc., is just so much fear and superstition that I can't believe it. I drive both my Land Rovers (my wife has an LR2) very hard, a lot of time off road in low range, a lot of time in the mud, extended trips at highway speed, and no problems. My dealer is great, and if the service manager or his technicians saw any problem with the oil or the filter they would have told me about it (they really want to avoid replacing an engine).

When I was a kid (got my first car 40 years ago), the oil was such crap that after 3k miles it HAD to be replaced. The filters weren't much better. Today the oils and filters are really outstanding and if it wasn't for the warranty issues I'd change mine at 15k.

David

cdodkin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey - I just prefer Mobil1 oil in all my vehicles - my choice

It's not BS - it's just my personal preference

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member