Oil leak out of spidle 95

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil leaking out of hub from spindle housing purchased new rotors and kit. Didn't include new inner grease seal for front hub. Would someone please tell me if just replacing the outer seal is going to do much good? Kit came with rear in and outer seals. 95 discovery 130000 miles of good maintenance and going strong

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Front swivels have oil in older Disco's, but should be replaced with one-shot grease. It may be that you just need to drain the swivel and replace with one-shot grease (yes one-shot is the name) it is kind of an oily grease.

If this has been done already, then you may need new seals.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil leaking out of hub from spindle housing purchased new rotors and kit. Didn't include new inner grease seal for front hub. Would someone please tell me if just replacing the outer seal is going to do much good? Kit came with rear in and outer seals. 95 discovery 130000 miles of good maintenance and going strong

Is oil leaking out of hub or from ball swivel

The end of the axle housing has seal to contain the diff oil, the ball swivel has a 6" dia. seal to contain swivel lube.

Either way, it's repairable, I repaired my ball swivel w/o removing the whole mess.

luck,greg

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil leak spindle housing

I'm still using 80 90 lube in my spindle housings because I like the ability of draining the housings in the event of water wadding. Call me sceptical but the idea of grease in the housings tends to bother me from an engineering attitude. The oil is being flung out the outside of the wheel. So I know the outboard seal needs replacing. I know people have switched to the grease, but I always have wondered if there has been trouble with it even though I understand it is approved by the company. So what do you think?

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just can't decide if I want to put that grease in my spindle housing

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
LR switched to the grease (more like a soupy grease) because the oil leaked out.

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The folks with expensive cars didn't like drips of gear lube from the swivel ball seals so Land Rover switched to the one shot grease. There's nothing wrong with continuing to use gear lube as long as you check the level on schedule.
If the oil is being flung out onto your wheels it's most likely your hub seal. Just order a new one (actually I'd get a few to keep on hand). Use the RTC3511 double lip Defender seals.

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I want to stick with the 80/90. But I still think the inner hub seal is the main culprit. Reason being that no gear lube should be in the hub. Oil passing thru inner and outer seals and then past the axle seal I just wonder if that oil is pulling the grease off my wheel bearings. Like I think I stated before I'm changing the rotors out but the kit did not come with inner seal. Gonna call atlanti British and order them

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops stupid me there is just one seal in the frnt and of coarse the dust cap. Now I just have to make a seal replaced tool and I should be good to go. However b4 I do I have to we about a caliper repair kit because it looks like the inboard pads are not worn at all so must mean caliper inner pistons are frozen. Might I be able to buy the kit or is it new caliper time. Now that I think of it that caliper didn't want to bleed well when I last bled them three months ago.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo