oil leak... +

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

discomk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
04 hse7, 55k (only), lovin' it!
i remember someone said 'if a land rover doesn't leak oil, something else is wrong'. actually, was that you joey? :biggrin:
is it worth it to even think about the minor oil drips i am having? it lost about a 1 qrt or less between oil change. no big deal but just .... you know.
also, i get about 12-13 mpg average (80% hwy), on premium!!! is there anything or anyway to get better gas millage (just b/c the gas price will not be any cheaper anytime soon).
any advice is appreciated - in advance.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Delete your duplicate post.
As for your leaks, where are they coming from. A common leak is from the v/c gasket which can usually just be tightened up cause they do tend to vibrate loose.
If your engine is too dirty to tell for sure, go to your local do it your self car wash and power scrub the entire engine, with cold water only, then you can better track the leaks.

As for the mileage, keep your air pressure up and perform a 60K service along with a tune up and new Magnacor 8 mm wires. Once that is done also clean the t/body and do an induction cleaning. My 99 D2 gets around 18MPG just under 70 MPH.
If you want some help on what needs to be done, get back to me.

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
A quart between oil changes is a little more than normal leaking for an 04. And yes I did say that about leaking.

I would at least find the big leak.

12 -13 in a rover is not unheard of, but have you done any tune work lately? Also depending on how stock your vehicle is will make a huge difference in fuel economy. Big tires, bumpers etc, will **** fuel economy.

discomk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for the oil leak. engine area not very dirty at all. i can see the oil are coming out from around the gasket area. i will get the engine area washed and see. anyway, where is the v/c gasket located? and what does it look like please, Mike?
as for fuel economy. very much stock, it came with the brush bar and I added two driving lights. set of 5 BFG KO tires 255/70/17 might be the main issue i think. i will look into the 60k service items as well as the Magnacor 8 mm wires. so far i've been change oil and replacing air filter per service schedule.

thank you guys.
btw, did i post the same thread twice? no clue how to delete the duplicate, please let me know as well.

Dick61

Reaction score
v/c gasket is Valve Cover gasket, down here in Aus we call it a Rocker Cover. It is held down with 4 small screws and just about every one of them leaks. My 96 Series 1 Disco doesn't burn any oil and doesn't mark it's spot but I always check the oil level and find I need to add a little from time to time

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Duplicate Post deleted.

discomk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mike,
how involve is it to change out the ignition wires? can you explain a little bit more about 'clean the t/body and do induction cleaning? sorry, a real weekend mechanic here but willing to learn.

discomk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update

finally got a chance and the tool to check on the bolts on the valve cover. i was surprised how loose they all were! i hand cranked to reasonably tie now. lets see if that area 'dries' up.

thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4