Open element filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the filter box and used an open element filter on their DI? I found a write up for a DII on d-web.

I need to do something as I'm planning to mount my shock resovoir in this location and the factory air box is in the way. I've noticed that there is a sensor mounted to the top side of the box.

I was thinking that I could drill a hole into the round plastic pipe that comes off the box going to the maf to mount the sensor there, just before the maf. Any forseable problems with doing this? Just wanted some thoughts from you guys before I jump in and do this.

Last edited:
D

discomike

I wish I could answer that, never seen it done, let me know how it turns out.
Mike J.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at again tonight when I was mounting the resovoir and it seems like it will work. I'll just have to thread the drilled hole to accept the sensor. I'll unbolt the sensor tomorrow and get a closer look at it.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've cut the tube going from the maf to the airbox. I've drilled a hole in the tubing for the sensor. I mocked it up and started the truck and all seemed well but since I can't drive the truck right now, I'll have to wait to see how it works. No CEL and I'll have to work on keepin the pipe diameter the same size, 3 1/2". Since there is a reducer in there, I'll probably get some other tubing. I'll let you guys know how it goes when I can get the time to get working on it again.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a little update, if anyones curious. I replaced the air box with a coupler and 12" long piece of pipe with the open cone style filter at the end of that. I mounted the air sensor in the pipe and all seems well.

I haven't had any problems with it thus far and no ce light. I did notice a little more throttle response and smoother engine idle, not sure why though? It's possible that I'm noticing this b/c I cut out the rusted out resonator when I was putting the rear kit together.

All that I have left to do is make a heat shield and wrap the pipe in insulation. I'll get to that some day.

Last edited:

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put it back :) It sucks (literally) when there is rain and dense fog. And in hot summer its pretty damn bad as well. Basically you have to make reflective shielding to protect bloody thing from manifold heat (its getting very nasty after few hours of driving/wheeling in mountains - you can literally fry eggs on MAF. And even with shield it still not very nice.

Altough to drive in moderate temps and in cold temps - its nice and you will get some power upgrade :)

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So now you tell me Sergei! I've had this setup before in my Ranger for about three years with no problems, so I'll stick with it for a while. Besides, its too late to put it back in.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know. I hacked mine last summer, doing exactly same thing. Then after 6 months i opened things (been trying to find cause of weird ignition/fuel issues) and MAF didnt look very happy. Wasnt damaged though. And it was freakishly hot (couldnt keep it in hand). Anyway - if it works for you - keep it. I have open element filter on XTerra and its working just fine too. Its just my haunted Disco :)

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks! Have you tried using a pre-filter? What about your maf? Was is dirty, causing a fault code?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635