Opinions on extended roof rails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timchilcott

Reaction score
I see tons of aftermarket options.

What is your experience with the extended roof rails?

Should I buy OEM from Land Rover, are the aftermarket versions good?

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard that the non-OEM long rails will generate wind noise at highway speeds.. I have heard that the OEM ones don't, but $$$..

Mike

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the OEM ones and I don't hear any wind noise from them at all.

l00kin4

Reaction score
I have had both on my D4. Didn't notice any wind noise with either.
I originally fitted the non-genuine long rails but ended up changing these over to the factory rails, mainly because of the fit in the gutter channel. I was getting pine needles and occasional leaves in the gap and therefore the gutter channel- they hadn't caused a problem but I was worried that they would eventually.

Having now fitted both, the copies are definitely not the OEM LR parts. I had no issues with the strength of them but the differences I noted are:
- paint finish on copies not as good as (powder?) coating or actually probably anodising...? on OEM LR rails;
- fit in gutter nowhere near as snug - the extrusion is smaller (narrower) I think and the rubber seals on the LR rails are shaped to seal;
- rubber strip seal seems to be of a better quality;
- general fit of the feet etc. on the OEM rails is a little better.

David

nybulldog

Reaction score
I want to put some rails on my LR4. I bought it last Friday. Its really tempting to purchase non-OEM aftermarket rails. Anyone have a strong opposition? I've been looking around for used OEM ones but no dice.

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will only find used ones if someone wants to put a full roof rack that can't be installed with them present. Otherwise, there would be no reason for someone to take them off.
I'm with you, the truck looks so right with them on. Can't believe that this truck doesn't come standard with them. Same can be said with a tow hitch receiver...

Haleakala

Reaction score
I bought OEM from Land Rover Rocklin in CA even though I'm in Jersey. The price with shipping was fair. I read too many posts with noise from the Chinese copies.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

nybulldog

Reaction score
You will only find used ones if someone wants to put a full roof rack that can't be installed with them present. Otherwise, there would be no reason for someone to take them off.
I'm with you, the truck looks so right with them on. Can't believe that this truck doesn't come standard with them. Same can be said with a tow hitch receiver...
Yeah I really couldn't believe that once the car was mine I finally realized that it did not come standard! **** In any case, yeah I'm noticing its not a popular item to find. In general, hard to find any used LR4 upgrades. Thanks for the reply. :hello:
I bought OEM from Land Rover Rocklin in CA even though I'm in Jersey. The price with shipping was fair. I read too many posts with noise from the Chinese copies.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Oh wow, I will look into that. Thanks dude! I'll add another check to the NAY.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM