Options for Tow Hitches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BazLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Narrowed down my choices to either the Curt Tow Hitch or the OEM accessory KNB500080. My problem with the LR Tow Hitch is the fact that it does not have holes for the safety chains, is that not mandatory in the US? For those who are using this part, how or where do you attach the hooks for the safety chains?

I have also noticed a Tow Bar in a photo that was posted on the British Part of Utah site and was wondering if anyone knows where this Tow Bar came from? You can find the link here http://www.bputah.com/Parts/hitchcover2.jpg

Thanks.

yankee270

Reaction score
I just picked up an 06 LR with 12,000 and I'm going with the Curt. I want the option of using my motorcycle carrier. I've seen it installed and it's a pretty clean installation. Looks fine.

BazLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Besides cost, are you not able to achieve the same with the OEM part? I need to use the safety chains for my trailer given its size and that is why unless there is a solution for the LR3 part, I would have to go with the Curt. The one showing in the photo I posted does not appear to be made by Curt, but it does appear to have been installed on a Range Rover.

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the aftermarket ones (curt) interfere with the spare or limit the size if the spare?

Bily Lovec

Reaction score
I just installed a curt one this weekend.
it was a slight pain to install, but it does not interferr with anything underneath.
its a well biult heraty hunk of steel. :D

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Narrowed down my choices to either the Curt Tow Hitch or the OEM accessory KNB500080. My problem with the LR Tow Hitch is the fact that it does not have holes for the safety chains, is that not mandatory in the US? For those who are using this part, how or where do you attach the hooks for the safety chains?

I have also noticed a Tow Bar in a photo that was posted on the British Part of Utah site and was wondering if anyone knows where this Tow Bar came from? You can find the link here http://www.bputah.com/Parts/hitchcover2.jpg

Thanks.

There are two round holes next the point of insert on the hitch for your safty chains. So The chains go straight to bumper not the removable hitch accessory. I can get photos later today for you if youd like....

BazLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After getting under my car, I found that there are two holes in the OEM bumper for the chains, I can use those or the ones that come with the Curt Hitch.

Bily Lovec, how would you rate the installation on a scale of 1 to 10? 10 being the most difficult? I will probably buy it next week and I wanna be sure I can take car of it my self.

Regards.

yankee270

Reaction score
Hope bily doesn't mind if I answer your question but I just installed a Curt hitch last night. Took me just under an hour and on your scale of 1-10 I'd say it's a 3. Very easy. Those fish lines work perfectly! Looks great too.

Bily Lovec

Reaction score
Bily Lovec, how would you rate the installation on a scale of 1 to 10? 10 being the most difficult? I will probably buy it next week and I wanna be sure I can take car of it my self.

Regards.

Hope bily doesn't mind if I answer your question but I just installed a Curt hitch last night. Took me just under an hour and on your scale of 1-10 I'd say it's a 3. Very easy. Those fish lines work perfectly! Looks great too.

i'll agree, drop your tire, I also removed a little trim piece on the bottom of the bumper to make access to the holes in the frame easier to get the fish lines in.
it wasnt a big deal, we had plenty of beer left over when we were finished.

its a very robust hitch, I like it better than that crappy thing LR dreamed up.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fwiw, looking at the Curt website, I see that the hitch has the following specs:

WC/TW 6000/600
WD/TW 8000/800

It looks like the WC (weight carrying, as opposed to weight distributing) is quite a bit less than Land Rover's spec of 7716 lbs. with the OEM hitch. You do get 50 more lbs. in TW (tongue weight), though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo