Options for Tow Hitches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed a curt one this weekend.
it was a slight pain to install, but it does not interferr with anything underneath.
its a well biult heraty hunk of steel. :D

Can we get some pics posted on your install?

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone who has the curt hitch have a full size spare? I just installed the curt and I prefer it much more than the OEM, but I am concerned that the carrage bolts might cause problems when I get my full size spare.

sprale

Reaction score
Hope bily doesn't mind if I answer your question but I just installed a Curt hitch last night. Took me just under an hour and on your scale of 1-10 I'd say it's a 3. Very easy. Those fish lines work perfectly! Looks great too.

Photos would be nice, maybe a few angles. How much ground clearance is lost (if any) with the Curt over the OEM (uninstalled, of course)?

I installed a Curt on my old 03 Lexus GX and loved it. The design was clean and fit was great. Even installation was fairly easy, though I had to remove the entire rear bumper to get the job done.

It was nice having this standard on my 98 Disco...

BazLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Curt hitch sitting in my garage now awaiting installation and I have the full spare tire under there. Most folks recommend lowering the spare for both the install and hooking up the electrics, which I intend to do as one, although I am a bit scared that the darn mecahnism that pulls up the spare wheel woudl go bust, as it appears it did for many owners.

briand

Reaction score
I just installed the Curt hitch the other day and can't get the full size spare back in place. Has anyone had any luck with this?

I like the hitch a lot, but not being able to carry a spare makes me a little nervous.

Thanks,
Brian

---------------------------------
2006 LR3 HSE

BazLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Brian,

Thanks for sharing that problem with us, I would never leave the house without the spare tire for this truck. Where are you having the problem? I mean, is the front of the tire hitting the hitch nearer the bumper? Any assistance from those of you who have installed the hitch and kept their full spare sized tire in place is highly appreciated.

I was ready to install the hitch this weekend, believe it or not, but with Brian's problem, I am not so sure I want to go through all the hassles only to find out that the spare is a no-go :mad:

briand

Reaction score
The front-to-back dimension seems to be the hang-up. Tried loosening the bolts on the hitch and sliding it back as far as I could but there's not enough play to make it work.

It looks like even if I could get it past that first sticking point that the mounting bolts for the hitch might prevent the spare from going all the way up like it's supposed to.

Has anyone else had success with this hitch and a FSS?

Maybe I should start looking for a swing-out spare setup...

Brian

-------------
2006 LR3 HSE

yankee270

Reaction score
If you haven't figured it out yet what you might have to do is crank up the tire until just before it hits the hitch. Tuck the tire up behind the hitch then crank it the rest of the way up. did it with mine and everything is fine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo