P0018 -00 CODE - Crankshaft Position?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shanerrs

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have gotten the P0018-00 code for the third time now. All during the winter months and right at the startup.

March 2017 - I had the timing chain guides done under CPO warranty. the warranty is now done.

I first was going to change the sensor. 120.00 worth a try.

I have done a oil change with Royal Purple.

Any other ideas before I have the engine torn apart again? Can I go back to the dealership?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could check with the dealer who did the work, see if they will warranty the work. Coming up on year.

Please let us know how this plays out.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the chain was not replaced as well, you have good argument that the chain should have been replaced along with the guides.

I would raise hell. Lawyer up, if need be.

shanerrs

Reaction score
I change the Sensor as it was a inexpensive repair to see if that was it. - Code went away as soon as that was done. That was one week ago.

This morning, just 30 seconds into the drive - Engine Light!!! now I have P0016 and P0018 - both camshaft timing codes.

Called the dealership - No warranty on work that was done under warranty. Only if I paid for it.

Getting prices for a full Timing Chain replacement - about 5K at a indy shop (canadian) but they said almost 2000K in parts.

I have not had anything opened up to see yet... but looking at worst case.

Thoughts?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a lawyer. The timing chain should have been replaced when they changed the guides.

shanerrs

Reaction score
I have contacted Landrover Canada - They did create a case... will find out Monday March 5th

Theofam

Reaction score
I live in a cold climate (Denver), and I got this code upon startup one cold winter morning after my warranty expired on my MY2010 years ago. It was $4K out of my pocket to fix initially, after my dealer agreed to split costs with me. Happened again shortly thereafter, at which point the dealer had it in the shop on its nickel for 51 days (they never could remove an errant miss on cylinder bank 1).

I still get the code from time to time during winters. I've recently begun servicing the LR4 at an independent shop. They noticed the code occurred at a low-temperature startup. They cleared the code ($122), drove the vehicle 20 miles during a test, cycled it several times (albeit during warmer temps), and couldn't get it to reoccur.

When it happens now, which is always during cold temps, I just keep driving, albeit it cautiously. After 3-4 drives, the Restricted Performance message, red triangle and CEL disappear. Might be a bit of an ostrich-burying-its-head-in-the-sand approach, but I'm convinced if I drive cautiously until warmed up, the tensioner begins to function normally.

shanerrs

Reaction score
Finally got a appointment at the Dealer Ship for the Diagnostics -

Confirmed that I need a Timing Chain (and guides and seals) as it has stretched. Quoted $6200.00 CND

Land Rover prior agreed to cover 25% of the repair.

I have called back to inquire why in the TSB it says to replace the Chain for all Cars over 64,000KM and I was at 127,000KMs.

Still waiting an answer, but will be disputing this decision - 25% is not close to enough.

Shane

ADVISE TO ALL - GET THE CHAIN REPLACED WHILE DOING THE REPAIR.

Attachments

• LTB00474NAS - Ratte + Click Noise from Front of Engine.pdf
    283 KB · Views: 121

johnnykind

Reaction score
What Happened ????
I have a similar problem
P0016 code, Check engine light, Engine runs fine.
Vehicle was idling at a stop and the light came on... no obvious problems ???

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM