P0205/P0305 Cylinder #5 misfire, 4.4 V8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2005 LR3 with 94K
Yesterday I checked and topped off the trans fluid (Ravenol) correct fluid in autobox I am told.
Placed on jack stands ran in neutral, fluid that ruched out when I removed the plug, not running looked good.
Once I topped up what I spilled, brought it down, went for a short ride. Everything the same, no issues running good no faults.
This morning I find my Veepeak Bluetooth thingy and decide to stick that is and use "CarScanner" APP on android phone or some other free app to read.
Well just turned on the ignition, not running the car and get a P0205, and P0305, #5 Cylinder Inj misfire.
Nt sure what gremlin crawled in overnite, so here is what I did the last couple days.
Placed fuel inj cleaner in tank when I filled up first tanks only premium gas used.
Day before yesterday, 2 days before fault code, cleaned the throttle body, and noted improved performance and the former Rich Bank 1 and Bank 2 faults codes stayed off.

So I thought cleaning the TB did the trick. Now this? Could it be the tank cleaning? How did the code come up showing #5 cylinder misfire, as all I have seen is that an ODBII will only give you a side, not individual injectors? Car idling like crap now obviously.
I see an jnjector swap looks involved, which I have the ability to do but not the injector removal tool (if required for my rover, being gas V8).

Should I try a hard reset? maybe the BT code reader did something to the settings/ECU?
I have a set of Iridium plugs I was going to replace today, but now why until I get this fixed. Arrrrrghhhh.

Ruper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually the codes are thus: P0205, Open Circuit, injector #5
P0305, #5 Cyl. Injector misfire

Resetting codes, however they come back immediately.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe these two sections from the manual will help you diagnose. That P0205 is the injector circuit failing and the resulting P0305 looks like it was caused by that failure. I would double check the connections and the manual describes the process to diagnose the injector with a multimeter. I've never done it but it seems simple enough and cheaper than throwing parts at it.

Attachments

• Description and Operation.pdf
    758.1 KB · Views: 101
  • Specifications.pdf
    19.7 KB · Views: 64

Ruper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the diagrams. I actually found some info via Youtube and ordered an injector and injector o-ring set. Removed the fuel rail replaced the bad injector after testing and it runs much better. In fact now I have an issue with hi idle around 1100 rpm.
Got a fault for a coolant sensor and fuel temp sensor, which your diagrams will help me narrow down hopefully.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. I have the whole manual set if you need anything let me know. I had a hard drive crash and lost 100% of my Landrover stuff but found that googling and would have probably had to buy an Armada if I hadn't found it.

Ruper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to download it all from Topix but ran out of time, and at the end I was rushing and have alot of file I have to rename and categorize. I tried a number of time to find it elsewhere with no luck. I have alot of elec diagrams for just about it all, and all of the brake sections I think. So hit me if you need something like that.

I just now broke the connector wire going into the fuel temp sensor. Trying to find one of those or how I could take it apart to replace the wire. Wire just pulled right out. 14 year old plugs dont like to come apart.

Ruper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I tried to rescue this broken wire deal that came off my fuel temp sensor. The more I fiddled with it the worse it got. Tried to remove the connector out of the plastic plug and the retaining clip thingy broke. OK ill glue it back. Tried to find the clip :terminal" itself and no one has it, of coarse. Finally found online at DELCITY.net. I'll put in the link, its a GT-150 terminal end. So couldn't find the plug itself, which I broke when I got the soldiering job done to fix the terminal end.
So I go to the bone yard to find a rover, and no luck there, I guess they are all still rolling. Someone needs to wreck one I guess. So I did find a similar connector that was on a Ford product, and Expedition, also found a similar plug on an Exploerer. Don't know the year, I had tools not a note pad, so I just pulled 4 or 5, paid for two of them of coarse and came home to give it a look. The plugs were not exact but when I shaved off a couple prongs on the fuel temp sensor, it was a perfect fit. Crawlws all up into the engine bay to place some weather pack terminals, wish I had of just used a wire nut, and finally got it done.
Once I got that sorted out all my CEL's went bye bye. The elevated idel rpm's also abaited, and my mpg is up from 13.4 to 16.5. This on both the dash read out and my InCarDoc phone app. I will see what the actual fuel in, fuel burn is the next time I fill up. But it certainly makes me feel good to have that CEL go off. I thought I was going to have to put a piece of duct tape on the dash to cover that thing up.

Hope my trials have helped someone. If u have a 14 year old truck I guess check the sensor plugs and fittings. I appreciate all of the help provided here, I hope at some point I can return the favor, however I hope I never have the need to visit this forum again cause that would mean my truck is running error free...

See u next week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM