P0455 code now crank over but won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LocatorF1

Reaction score
As it says, Thursday I got a code P0455. drove my 99 range 4.0 to work next day. After work I went to start it and it cranked over fine but seemed to not be getting any fuel. Transportation department at work won't help except to give me volt meter. Got 12.4 on the battery.
I haven't changed the fuel filter since the truck was given to me a year ago. was actually going to do it this weekend. Don't know if the previous owners did either. Truck has 160,000 miles on it.
The main problem is it's parked in the yard at my job taking up a spot for one of the work trucks(they aren't happy) I have this weekend to try to get it running and get it home.

What else could it be? Any way I could reset something to just get it running and home where I can work on it? The shop manual doesn't seem to be helping too much.

Thank you.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
P0455 Generic Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (gross leak/no flow)

Sadly this doesn't mean it will not start. my guess would be either Crank Position sensor or fuel pump. Check Fuel pressure to start with, also check to hear if you can hear the fuel pump start (this will require someone at the key and someone then the trunk area)

if you have fuel and you hear the pump... change the crank position sensor.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have 2 issues going on, the Gross evap. leak, as Joey mentioned and most likely a bad crank sensor.
Need to do 2 thing to make sure, go back and try to start it today, if it starts but has another start problem later, it is the crank sensor. I would also get it to a parts store and have them do one of their free battery/alternator checks. The voltage, when running needs to be between 13.6 and 14.4 volts.
Let us know what you find.

LocatorF1

Reaction score
cool

cool thank you! I can't get to the yard today cause I live in Jersey and the yard is in Manhattan but I'll be at work tomorrow and try starting it then. I'll let you know what happens.

LocatorF1

Reaction score
tried starting it today.....

and still no fuel. finished the day of work only to wait 5hrs for AAA to come and then got a call that they had no flat beds available! oh well I'll try for a tow again tomorrow, when I get out of work.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I missed the no fuel part or maybe I didn't long week...

Sounds like your fuel pump is dead.

LocatorF1

Reaction score
P1672 and still waiting for a tow...

since Friday. During that time I did a scan and got codes P1672 and P1667. Crankshaft sensor? It's just annoying cause my company has a policy that states no employee can repair personal vehicles on the property and the transportation dept and vehicle lifts are one hundred feet from my truck. Also, AAA is sucking real bad! at providing a tow back to Jersey.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, based on those codes, 1667 is anti-theft signal low, 1672 is anti-theft signal wrong code received.
You have a major alarm problem which is not allowing your engine to start.

LocatorF1

Reaction score
wow

OK I got the truck home. Now what? Changing a sensor is one thing What's up with the alarm? How would I go about troubleshooting that? Can I just disconnect the alarm/fuse and be ok? Do I have to take it to the dealer? Not much in the shop manual about it.

By the way, Thank you for all the advice I really appreciate it!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge