P38 Gear box issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

emlotte

Reaction score
Hi all,

I need some information please.

I sent my 2001 4.6 HSE for a service, air suspension repair and gear box oil seal change (leaking), The cowboys now claim that the car will not select drive and the reason is the oil that came out of the gearbox was thick and hiding a underlying problem and the new oil was correct grade but much thinner so the problem is now apparent.

Before I go down there and rip them apart I need some information as to if this could be true and is there any other reasons that could cause this problem. also does anyone have a diagram that they can e-mail to me.

Thanks in advance
Emlotte :confused:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Are we talking the Transmission or the Transfer case? Which one did they drain and fill?

The Transfer case will have 90wt oil. The transmission will have transmission fluid. If they overfilled the Transmission and drained the transfer case they owe you a lot of money.

emlotte

Reaction score
update after garage visit

Thanks for the advice,

I went to the garage and asked some questions based on the information you supplied, I think I scared the mechanic some what. I had 3 different versions of how they worked on the car.

The final version is as follows:
Cer reported as not puling correctly during road test, so "as a favor" oil changed in gear box, the oil removed was thick, which was helping the clutches operate, the new oil being thinner means that the grime is now removed from the clutches so they just slip and do not bite. this is the reason it does not go into drive, and will only go into reverse.

I personally think he is talking S**t, but my knowledge of Range rover auto boxes to weak, so could someone please enlighten me as to if this could be true.

Could someone also direct me as to where I can download a schematic diagram of the gearbox.

I should point out that the work is being carried out in the middle east.

Many thanks.:hmpf:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM