P38 MAF problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brambs

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firstly can a say a big hello to you all.

I am wondering if any one can give me some advice, before the hubby sells the car or me!! I own a 1996 P38 which is a 4.0 SE with a LPG conversion, I've owned this for 8 months and have no probs at all untill a week ago.

Last week while running on gas it backfired once or twice a couple of days running then the following day it backfires 4 times one after the other, I flicked it back to petrol and it got me home where i discovered the backfires had blown the air hose off, I reconnected this tried to start the car and it would turn over but took ages to fire up on petrol and then it would just die on me unless i kept feathering the accelerator (thats when i had to ring the hubby and tell him i'd broke it!). After reading posts on here everything pointed to the MAF sensor so i disconnected it and the car started with no probs, went to breakers yard and got a secondhand replacement MAF and fitted it and still the car won't stay running, Maybe faulty MAF i thought so swapped it for another that was gaurenteed to be working but still same problem. When not connected to the MAF the car starts and runs great on both gas and petrol and it would appear that there is no fuel starvation or blockages.

I've looked through all these forum pages and everything is still pointing to a broken MAF. please does anyone have any ideas as to what else it could be, i've got no error codes/msg on my dash.

Many Thanks

Claire

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
When you say you bought one that was to be working was it new or used?

When you disconnected it, do you mean just the plug or you removed it completely?

Brambs

Reaction score
Hi there

Neither were brand new, one was second hand and the other was taken from a working RR just so we could test it. When i said about disconnecting i left it on and just unplugged it at the bottom.

Cheers

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
At this point I would recommend plugging in the one you bought, but you may need to reset the ECU for it to take effect.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whartonlax