Painful video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me, the funniest thing that he does wrong is repeat over and over again the same failed technique. First, he needs more momentum, especially when his front tires crest the hill. Instead he hits the brakes. Also the traction control needs a bit of time to figure out what to do. He doesn't give it enough time and hits the brakes when the wheels spin. Also, it could only help to air down his tires.
The credo is "go as slow as possible and as fast as necessary". Basically he just needs to pay more attention to the second part.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with Roverman. Not enough starting speed and he hits the brakes at just the right time. Even if he only went a little faster, being steady on the throttle would've helped.

@Mack: I knew what you meant...didn't take it the wrong way nor did I take any offense. I thought your post was great....I don't know why he'd post such a vid either...

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Mack: I knew what you meant...didn't take it the wrong way nor did I take any offense. I thought your post was great....I don't know why he'd post such a vid either...

Word. Just making sure :rock:

To me the biggest mistake is he never learned anything through this entire event. He would try it, get a little wheel slip and give up. Then back up a foot and try again. Then repeat a couple hundred times.

It didn't seem like anyone else there or his "spotter" had any idea of what they were doing as well :stupid:

RichL73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow.. that was painful! Was he lost? Afraid of missing a turn..LOL My wife could drive better than that dude. I too wonder why they would actually post this on youtube... just glad I didn't see any hi-fives I might have thrown up ..LOL Did you guys see the camera man's shirt it said "it's a jeep thing" .......

Nah Just Kidding!!

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In addition to a little more pedal, in this situation you should always turn DSC off as well. It will cut power to the tires with traction and send it to the spinning wheel(s), which is exactly the opposite of what you need here. Rock Crawl mode with DSC off would make this a piece of cake. I hate that he posted this, because now someone is going to think "see LR3's aren't good off road" which is just not true. User error is the main problem here. :stupid:
:driver:

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with what everyone has said, but I know for me, with the advent of Terrain Response I had to relearn throttle modulation. Land Rover = smooth throttle, do not back out for any reason, and let the electronics figure the traction issues out. During my brief foray with my manual GTS, all this would do is dig massive ruts with the rear wheels. In essence, I had to momentarily lift when I got big wheel spin and then gently get back on it. Of course never touching the brakes and only getting out of the throttle enough to re-distribute traction.

True horror story: Two of my close friends were ascending a very steep grassy hill in Modesto in a CJ5 with 35" tires - not aired down. Toward the top, the tires lost traction and started spinning, my buddy got out of the throttle, the CJ stalled, he hit the brakes, the CJ slid and swapped ends, barrel rolled end over end, rolled ~30 plus times until the rims dug into the dirt when the tires deflated. They had a full cage and race belts, but the driver raised his hands on the first roll = two hideous compound fractures. Yes, as his housemate at the time, I literally did have to help wipe his bum for 2 months.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112