Paint protection when off road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vladyshka13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time when I went off road I severely scratched the paint. I had to spend $200 in a shop to buff the scratches, most of them came out, but the plastic still scratched. Anyone have any ideas how to protect the pain if it is possible?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the price you pay. For what it is worth, a shop will rub thru your clear coat so don't do that again.
Put 2 coats of a good Carnuba wax on and learn how to stay out of the brush as much as you can cause you only have so much paint to rub out.

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing...

Thinking of maybe buying a roll or two of magnetic vinyl sheeting, and just sticking it on the doors for some protection.

There's something about paint scratches on my family truck that just bother me.

Something like this:
http://www.magnetking.com/

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing...

Thinking of maybe buying a roll or two of magnetic vinyl sheeting, and just sticking it on the doors for some protection.

There's something about paint scratches on my family truck that just bother me.

Something like this:
http://www.magnetking.com/

You mean like this
IMG_4149.jpg

IMG_4168-1.jpg

IMG_6427.jpg

IMG_7186.jpg

Last edited:

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_64262.jpg

IMG_7195.jpg

GLLRCMay2009009Large-vi.jpg

sorry I got carried away I just figured how to get photos to come up easly

The tape allows you to go 90mphh with out it comming off you want a CLEAN surface to put it on so you dont want to throw it on at the trail head. I t also prvents branches from catching it and pealing it off
If you want I can make you a set off mine. If you want me to

Last edited:

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dr, how long does it take you to put that on before you go out? How much for a set?

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All taped down about 30mins
pm sent

Last edited:

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dr Z-

I like it. It looks like one of their 'base' colors is green, so I would try and match my exterior a little closer than the alpine white panels you have. : )

Do you remember what size roll you started with? Or where you sourced the materials?

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my roll from a local sign shop. I think it was a 2x50ft roll . You will also need a large roll of 4ft paper of a bunch of card board to make up templates for the panels. You get to make it twice once with the template and then again on the vinyl and then trim trim trim. You only have to do one side. I went with white since it was cheaper. so I am slowly putting stickers and such on. Just painted the kids hands on there doors. It is kind of fun to customize. Use a heat gun to mold around panels and creases. You have to tape it down or it will all fly off. I use 1.5" and 2" masking tape 3m high quality the cheap stuff stinks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo