Paint Question!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

josh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please help - what is going on with my paint on my hood? I thought it was bug/tar but these photos with a macro lens look like a bit more. It's 4 months old.

-Josh

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 170
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 165
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 165
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 169

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe acid rain? Get the dealer to look at it. Maybe you can convince them to take care of it under warranty.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your car sit outside frequently?

That looks like a combination of water spots baked on (like it sat in the sun), and/or some sort of surface contaminant (like tree sap, acid rain, etc.). It is something that a clay bar should be able to handle pretty easily (but it likely won't wash off with just a simple car wash - even hand washing). I swear by Zaino - I've never used their clay bar, but if it is as good as their polishes, it will work wonders:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SGCWC&Store_Code=Z

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2...ode=Z-18&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=19

Good luck - let us know what you find out.

-Rich

Last edited:

dropper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some funk like your white spots that on my hood - will not come off with clay bar or anything... my guess it is probably some bird crap that was left on the paint too long by the prior owner and damaged the clear coat. Ticks me off.

But I think richpike is right, some of your marks do look more like water spots and should come out...

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also use Zaino products and have used their clay bar. I can't imagine something like that not coming off with a clay bar. The clay bar, when used correctly, seems to take off just about any kind of marring.

josh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
paint...

Thanks so much for the feedback. I am going to talk to the dealership before I try anything. I have no experience with the claybar or Zaino products but perhaps I soon will. My concern is that the crystallized look and/or cracked paint look to me implies that it is much deeper than any topical product can fix. I suppose I'll soon find out.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes; do both. I will say this...I used to not mess with clay bars and special products until a buddy of mine educated me about it. Now that I've used this stuff, I feel like you're really not cleaning your car at all unless you do use a clay bar and some polish. I only use the bar once or twice a year, but the polish I do a lot because it layers and protects.

dropper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck, thanks in advance for sharing what the dealer says.

josh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Results of dealer inquiry about paint...

I took my LR3 to the dealer on Saturday for evaluation of the spots on the hood. They felt that it was likely due to some type of tree/sap. They buffed and wet sanded it out and it looks great. It did go down to the paint, through the clear coat. There are a couple of very small spots that did not come out, but it looks great.

I am certainly glad that I waited to get their input first before doing anything myself. Thanks for everyone's input.

-Josh

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow - that was some serious tree sap. Glad things turned out OK, but I'd be concerned that it went all the way through the clear coat - definitely keep that area waxed well.

Good luck.

-Rich

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo