PARKING BRAKE error message while driving...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the riddle I've been meaning to ask...

Every 3-6 months or so I'll be driving down the highway and all of a sudden I'll hear an error tone and the following message will pop up;
PARKING BRAKE OFF
LIFT SWITCH TO APPLY

At that time the red "park brake" light also comes on.

It does not impact driving. To clear the error I have to stop the car. Apply the parking brake, release the break, and it goes away. I may shut down the car in the process.

Can't figure out what causes this to come up. It is when I'm driving and have not come close to touching the brake lever.

Is this a random gremlin I should ignore or a sign of something about to fail? I did have one of the parking brake assemblies replaced last year.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who replaced it? Is there a parts & labor warranty?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's probably the actuator. I get the same light, the same warning, but my brake doesn't work. I'm going to have a used one put in soon, my mechanic has it but hasn't had a chance to put it in. I should say this is all a guess, won't be sure it's the actuator until it's in and fixed...but the code reads that that's what it is. Next time the light goes on, why don't you take it to an auto parts store and get the code read. I'm not sure what you mean by 'one of the parking brake assemblies' but if that turns out to be the problem I agree with Houm, see if it's still under warranty.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding my repair comment...I'm pretty sure we have a parking brake on each rear wheel, correct? My passenger side brake locked up and burnt up last year and needed replaced. Driver's side is still working fine.

My mechanic took care of the repair, but doesn't think this code is related to his work based on the message. He thinks it is in the electronics and best not f*cked with, due to the expense, if it isn't causing any issues. (he hasn't lead me wrong on anything yet.)

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll want Bodsy's brake bible. There are shoes inside the rear discs. They can be a bear.

http://www. disco3. co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4184

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It now happens about once a month. As luck would have it, I was heading in to the shop for brakes and the error code popped on so he was able to read it.

It's the parking brake control module. Internal error.
He looked it over and everything external (wiring and such) seems good.

It's about a $1200 job as the part alone is around $850ish.
I think I'll let this one ride a bit. It doesn't seem to cause anything but an error light and I don't use the parking brake that often anyway.

Last edited:

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the ECU can be reflashed, that would be worth a try, and might cure it. Remember all these ECU's are just modules that software is loaded on.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's an idea. Do you know if that is something the dealer has to do or can an independent LR shop access that? I know in the past he wasn't able to do firmware updates, so I'd have to hit the dealer for those.

I hate going to the dealer...

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If he's replacing the rear shoes he should have the diagnostic tool(s) to put the EPB module into the appropriate mode during fitting. Which means he would probably have access to firmware updates. Or if you'd rather not pay the dealer all the time, buy an IID or Nanoncom tool and do it yourself with the money you save...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM