Parking Break

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe my parking break has failed. I was at Daytona Beach today. I pulled onto the beach and parked. I applied my parking break while in sand mode with the suspension raised. As I pulled the break knob back to set it, it made a loud grinding noise and the dash lit up "break fault" in both orange and red. I had to put the truck in drive to release the parking break. Any ideas or maybe another forum about this issue?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the EPB Actuator failure makes an unmistakable sound. The only thing to do is replace the actuator. It's a $3-400 fix.

Trynian

Reaction score
I believe my parking break has failed. I was at Daytona Beach today. I pulled onto the beach and parked. I applied my parking break while in sand mode with the suspension raised. As I pulled the break knob back to set it, it made a loud grinding noise and the dash lit up "break fault" in both orange and red. I had to put the truck in drive to release the parking break. Any ideas or maybe another forum about this issue?

Actually many have had this happen and it turned out that only an adjustment was needed.

Manuel says it needs to be adjusted every rotor change and at least every 50k miles. Mine seazed up and I had to use the emergency release.

You ,might try that first.

Current online prices for the actuator are $500-$600

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parking brake adjustment stopped my LR3 screaming - the service manager I spoke with at my local LR dealer said 90% of the problems are due to adjustment problems especially if a non-LR aware brake shop does any work. If you ignore the screams you will probably get rewarded with a big bill to replace the actuator. Interestingly the same service guy said he never uses the EPB and just uses the auto transmission lock when in Park mode.

I'm sure the EPB is cool but a regular old handbrake would have been just fine IMHO....

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the adjustment. Really easy to do and like others have said should be done regularly. I suggest annually and haven't had a problem with mine since following that schedule. Actually I did have a failure with in the actuator itself the just failed no noise no warning no nothing just didn't release the brakes any longer. Actuator is about $600 and a PITA to replace.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM