Parking sensors on 06 LR3 HSE ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer changed my Parking Sensor operation

Hi all,

First I apologize for the lengthy description. I tried to cover all the details first so you guy's can rule out the basic questions.

I did a search but could not find anything related to my problem.

I bought the 06 LR3 HSE used from a dealer 9 months ago. It has front and rear parking sensors.

My dealer replaced a module for the sensors and now the system works totally different.

Here is how it has worked for the past 9 months.
I would put the car in Drive or Reverse, The Parking Sensor button on the dash would light up and the sensor system would detect objects either in front of and or behind me. (all good) once the car reached about 10 mph the system would shut off (light on parking sensor button turns off) and stay off until my speeds dropped below 10mph. Once slowing to 10mph or less the sensor button on the dash would light up and the system would be active again. Great when I am pulling into a parking spot. The system activates and deactivates itself automatically always at around 10mph.

My complaint since day One has been that whenever I was rolling in slow traffic or stopped at a light. Almost any movement of a vehicle near my front right or left side would set the front sensor alarm off. It would always be the solid warning not the beeps. Now whenever this happened, randomly day or night, The vehicle that set it off was more than 4 feet away. They could be driving by or rolling next to me but they were always more than 4 feet away. Definitely out of the sensors parking range. If it were really detecting the object at that distance then it would produce a slow beep not a solid tone.

I had it to the dealer 3 times for this annoying issue. Once they said "Just turn the system off when your driving" Kind of stupid idea when you think about it. Another time they said that One of the sensors had a loose connector. Every time they told me the system was operating normally.

I brought the car to another dealer to have something else worked on and told them about the Sensor false alarm issue. They ended up replacing the parking sensor module and ECU. This supposedly solved the problem.

Now when I put the vehicle in drive from Park, the sensor system remains off. The parking system is no longer automatically activated by putting the car in drive. So now I can drive slow or fast and then stop and the system does not come back online.

If I put the vehicle in reverse, the system activates, light on the button comes on and everything works normally. Even if I go from Reverse to Drive it will remain active until a speed of 10 mph is reached. Then it deactivates as normal.
When I slow down like when coming to a light or pulling into a driveway Stop sign whatever, The system does not reactivate. It remains off. So if I am pulling into a parking spot or garage, the park sensor system is off. I have to manually push the button on the dash to turn it on. It used to automatically come on below 10mph, now it does not automatically come back on. So basically I pull into my driveway and into the garage, I can roll right up to the wall and nothing... I would have to remember to push the button to turn it back on before pulling into the garage or a parking space.

I brought it back to the dealer and told them all this. They said the system is working how it is supposed to.

Which way is the system supposed to work?

1.Automatically back online below 10mph

2.Only turn on in Reverse and turning off at 10mph or above and not turning back on.

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On MY2005s and early builds 2006, the front sensors used to turn back on automatically whenever the car's speed would drop below 10 mph. Then Land Rover got a litany of complaints like yours (the sensors are ultrasound, so they can be triggered by a nearby truck passing by...) and officially "enhanced", or "crippled", depending on how you look at it, the new PDC modules. This old TSB issued in late 2006 (applies to the Sport, but the LR3 got the same treatment) explains in in detail:

Front Parking Aid False Warnings
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
Range Rover Sport (LS) VIN: 6A900129 to 6A960177
CONDITION SUMMARY:
FRONT PARKING AID SOUNDS UNNECESSARILY
Situation: A customer may report a concern that the front parking aid is sounding-off unnecessarily.
NOTE: A new parking aid system control module has been developed to provide an enhanced front parking aid operation strategy for the customer.
The original park aid system strategy activates the front parking sensors when a forward gear is selected following reverse. Sensor operation is deactivated when the vehicle speed exceeds 10 mph (16 kph). Sensor operation will reactivate when the vehicle speed drops below 10 mph (16 kph). This sensor activation below 10 mph can result in audible warnings as the vehicle is coming to a stop and another vehicle or pedestrian passes in front of the vehicle. A customer may report this audible warning as unnecessary or 'false'.
This sensor activation is not a fault with the parking aid system.
NOTE: Following a repair, which includes replacement of the parking aid control module, the customer must be informed of this new front parking aid system operation as follows:
The parking aid operation strategy has now been enhanced to only permit the front sensors to reactivate when the following conditions are met:
• Vehicle speed drops below 10 mph (16 kph) and the front parking aid switch is manually selected. (The front parking aid switch is located on the center instrument panel.)
• A forward gear is selected following reverse gear selection during parking.
Action: If a customer expresses this false warning concern, refer to the Repair Procedure detailed in this bulletin to replace the parking aid control module with the latest configuration. Ensure that the customer is instructed on the use of the enhanced front parking aid system.
PARTS:
NOTE: The enhanced control module software strategy is programmed into the new control module (YWC500550) and installed into vehicles after the closing VIN 6A960177.
YWC500550.............Parking aid control module Qty 1

Xrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umbertob,
YOU ARE THE MAN !!

You answered all my questions on the first reply.
If only the dealer had explained the new operation as described above :)

Thank you !!

Learth

Reaction score
I'm so glad to read all of this the parking sensors drive me crazy. I WANT it to be manually engage only. I only want it activated when I manually select it. This TSB will get me closer to that mode. Thanks.

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
parking sensors can't even work right, yet we want vehicles that break for themselves...hmmm

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635