Performance for the Discovery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As brought up by a fellow disco owner in a different post ... What are ways of increasing performance in a Discovery????

One way that comes to mind is a K&N Air Filter, although the ads always seem to over exaggerate the amount of performance. They are usually pretty cheap. WATCH OUT and DON'T over oil them or they will mess you up!

Another way is the chips that people put in their Discoverys.

You can super charge it, or turbo charge it, or strap missiles to the back of it. All will make it go faster.

Any other ideas?

D

discomike

Performance

Ya, you can go to a Borla Exhaust Cat BACK SYSTEM, MAGNACORE spark plug wires with really good plugs and 4:11's.
Now youv'e got some performance.
Mike

R

RadRocker

What exactly do the 4:11 gears do? I have heard about them a lot . . .

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the K&N filter, $52.00....I really can't tell the diff. I wonder if anyone makes hedders for a 4.0? If properly tapped for all sensors, the H.P. increase , along with plugs, wires, and maybe a hot-coil set-up might help a bit? A mild cam might also add a little mid-range power, (the passing mode). All in all, I want a little more performance for the gas mileage....something has to eventually give besides my wallet.Does anyone know of an aftermarket company that offers any of the above? If not, you engineers out there might get your creative juices flowing! a small fortune might be in the ofting. I think the 4:11's will help, but we are also looking at both diffs,$$$$ Just how much can we spend to go FASTER?

D

discomike

More Power

Bryce,
4:11 gears will give you more low end power with less effort on the trucks part. I installed them in my 99D2 because of the large, 265/75/16, tires which reallly took away from my pulling power. Now I have the best of both worlds, bigger tires, more traction and I have my low end power back.
Mike J.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike is right. Worth the money for the upgrade.

D

discomike

Horse Power

Joseph,
If you want to improve your power, look at the Borla Cat Back exhaust, Magnacore plug wires, Bosh Platium +4 plugs and a chip. The package should net you nearly 40 plus HP.
Mike J.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard that the Magnacore plugs don't do a lot. Do you know how much each of those is supposed to increase performance? Also, is there a place where you can get all of that cheap? Thanks for the advice Mike.

D

discomike

Sam,
I have spoken with2 D1 owners and they swear bt the 8MM blue wires, here is my scourse, www.OffRoadTuff.com . I ordered a set last week and will confirm one way or the other how they work.
Have you ant experience with the chips, I am in Ca. and of course they are not legal hear but I would sure like to try them?

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disco Mike said:
Have you ant experience with the chips, I am in Ca. and of course they are not legal hear but I would sure like to try them?

I have not had any experience with the chips yet, but I will do some research. Please keep me posted on the plugs. I just heard that from one guy who is a mechanic. I am really interested in what you think.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72