Performance for the Discovery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

Gotrovr

It's all about low end torque, best performance increase it to ****** your 4.0 into thinking its a 4.6, especially when running with larger diameter tires say 31" or larger

Also I would stay away from K&N filters, not worth the minimal gain vs possible damage to MAF sensor

ECU upgrade, 8mm wires and performance exhaust (NRP) also a big help

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well :) Despite all that cone filter (K&N or Green) will gain you some power. While havent done dyno meself, i still can attest to that, living in mountains and having to drag heavy truck (Disco and XTerra) up and down at high altitudes and nasty inclines/declines.

Drop-in filter however wont gain you pretty much anything. Except for having repairable filter.

Combined with good exhaust muffler (magnaflow, flowmaster, cherry tornado) or entire flip flop from NRP, Borla & others you will get extra ponies to that and will use cone filter for real.

But i wouldnt mind to see how them special coated headers really do :)

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hot chip

Slam i'm in Kalifornia (Arnold), SF bay area. The 4.6 powered D1 (95) has a RPI -4 cam thats 260 degree vs 285 stock. It still pulls up to 5,800 rpm, a very flexible engine. Full steering lock in 3 rd gear no problem. The chip by RPI is called "Tornado". They keep fueling up to redline vs the factory chip shuts down long before. Factory chips way lean, results like the 3.9 with cracked blocks and constant water loss.This isn't a so so it's a little better chip, it's a "wow" chip. [email protected]. 9-30-03 smog test with chip installed,
4 of 100 ppm HC idle, 5 of 180 ppm HC 2,500, .01% idle Co, 0.000% 2,500 Co.
The dealer under 7/100,000 mile warranty damaged the cats, they wanted 1,300, i replaced them with Car Sound high flow cats. There was a just a
detectable difference between "gutted" cats and Car Sounds, factory cats were restrictive. Borla SS exhausts great, i sound like a 289 Muatang with glasspacks bad part they drone between 2,100-2,400 rpm right in the highway zone. Must add a Volt stainless steel resonator at the rear. This D1 is a on going project. Electronic controlled pre-oiler is another install story.
Carl............................................................................o&o>............

Militant-Grunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced all the fluids in the car, and i get like 10 seconds to 60mph ( amazing ), every time i head for the high way, i floor it hehehe.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bigger is faster

Militant-Grunt, that's slow in my book. 4.6, port matched intake with larger and longer trumpets, 4.6 hot-wire box, RPI cam and chip, ported exhaust manifold input and output, Borla exhaust, heads with mild port work (street port). All this on a 95 D1 with 5-speed. 260% front and 190% rear sway-bar increase.This motor may get a get a 3.54" crank later on with larger valves.
This is a street only vehicle, fun to slide on the twisties. Sorry had to respond to your post. Carl...........................................o&o>...........................

M

Maxx

After following this series of convo's I have come up with a question if you don't mind... how much are 4:11 gears? Does it actually give the truck more power or just more oooomphfffffff when towing heavy thangs.

R

roverX

The 4:11 gears will give you more low end torque. It will increase your rpm's when you go above 50 mph or so. But then kep in mind that these vehicles are not sports cars. I would recommend not going over 31.5 inch tires (approx 255/75/16) unless you are willing to sacrifice speed. I have a 96 D1 that is my daily driver right now. It is paid off in July and then I will buy a Merc for my daily driver and do a lot of mods to my D1. Right now I have a 2 inch OME lift, 265/75/16's, Bosch platinum +4 plugs, magnecore plug wires, K&N air filter, synthetic oils, and a glass pack right behind the cats - yes it passes Kalifornia smog - this past Friday to be exact. I will be putting in a detroit and 4:11 gears this winter to give me more torque with my tires. Feels a little sluggish running this size but I kick 'er into 3rd gear when I need that extra oomph!

W

will

guys with the borla catback, how loud is it? Stock exhaust is faily quiet. Will the borla open it up? Not looking for Mustang style sound, but still want a low rumble when gunning it :)

EDIT: what is the diameter of the Borla?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72