Phone auto-dial in crash feature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got this off a RR forum does anyone know of this? I assume it will work on the LR3 too.

Whilst looking to see if I can retrofit the built in phone (mainly because I want the voice recognition functionality for the Nav) I found this info:

Control ECU
The telephone ECU is located in the left hand side of the luggage compartment. The telephone ECU is the AKIRA
ECU. The AKIRA system offers features such as Emergency assistance (either automatically in the event of a crash,
or manually) and breakdown assistance. The emergency function can be automatically trigger in the event of a crash
via a signal from the SRS DCU. If triggered automatically or via the instrument pack mounted button, the ECU will
send:

GPS location
VIN
WHich button pressed.

Note the Mayday option can only be selected if the vehicle also has the navigation system fitted

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First time I hear of that. Sounds cool , but is that off a new Range Rover or a "pre-Ford" one? The PTI module on MY05+ RR/RRS/LR3 is presently made by Nokia and, AFAIK, there are no such emergency provisions built in.

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the poster has an 03 so I assume it maybe a BMW/Ford thing. I posted the question will let you know if anyone responds

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick response was most likely only covers the older year.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The BMW electronics are quite different than the ones Ford introduced in 2004/5. It sounds like some sort of OnStar system - BMW has its own version I believe and they probably used to install it on the Range back when they owned Land Rover.

GrahamWelland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BMW use a service from ATX telematics that is similar to OnStar although they also cover other premium brands up to and including your $400k Rolls Royce & Maybach. It could well be that the electronics are a carry over from the BMW X5 which is part of the RR/RRS/LR3 lineage.

Ford subsequently have developed 'Sync' as their service using technology with Microsoft - but this is only from 2007 onwards really. Probably good that it's not in LR3/RRS as we don't need any more software to reboot. :biggrin:

Btw, a lot of the built in telematics changed in about 2006 due to the analog/digital cell phone switchover.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink