Plug/wire question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chick

Reaction score
I have an 01 Disco II, SE7, with about 75,000 milrs, original plugs and wires. Recently put in new plugs and wires, and it keeps throwing an 0301 code, sometimes adds an 0300 just for laughs. Could this be a bad wire or plug? The wires are a PITA to get on the plug end. The boot slides down and keeps the connector from latching on to the end of the plug. (I have now gotten pretty good at getting the coil ends on, just by removing the crossover pipe.)
The plugs are NGK NG6953. Are these the right ones?
What wires are the best to use? What plugs? Should I go to Land Rover to make sure I get the right stuff? My 95 BMW is picky that way, so maybe the Disco is too?

Thanks for your insight.

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Champion Platinum plugs, my preference for wires are magnacore, but I have heard good things about a few others.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 01 Disco II, SE7, with about 75,000 milrs, original plugs and wires. Recently put in new plugs and wires, and it keeps throwing an 0301 code, sometimes adds an 0300 just for laughs. Could this be a bad wire or plug? The wires are a PITA to get on the plug end. The boot slides down and keeps the connector from latching on to the end of the plug. (I have now gotten pretty good at getting the coil ends on, just by removing the crossover pipe.)
The plugs are NGK NG6953. Are these the right ones?
What wires are the best to use? What plugs? Should I go to Land Rover to make sure I get the right stuff? My 95 BMW is picky that way, so maybe the Disco is too?

Thanks for your insight.

I am not sure on the best plugs (I would go with what Joey says) as I have done a lot of expensive experimenting around and I don't know if it has helped that much at all. As for wires, I made up my own with Taylor .409 or 10mm wires and boots - not easy to work with such heavy duty cable but they seem to work great. There are lots of shops around that can custom make wires for you from heavy-duty universal kits.

Chick

Reaction score
OK Folks, I'm still having some problems. My wife came home with the Disco on empty, and it's 6 miles to the nearest gas station. I put in some from a can I use to fill my job site generators, must have had some crud/water in it. The truck ran like crap, and the flashing check engine light came on.
I put in a can of alcohol (water displacer) and ran Sea Foam through the intake. Filled the beast up with super, and added Sea foam to the fuel.
Then replaced the plugs and wires (PITA. Whoever was in charge of that design should be assigned to the darkest part of hell, required to change the wires and plugs every day for eternity!).
I cleared all the codes, now I can drive the truck for about 30 minutes or so, no light until I come to a place where I have to slow down, revs drop and then the light comes back on, throwing cod P0301, cylinder 1 misfire. Do I have a bad plug, wire, or injector? I did pull everything apart and check the wires were in the coil packs properly (Did I mention the PITA part? Good!)
I don't want to haul the thing to Rover (120 miles away) for a simple solution, so your advice is appreciated.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Try cleaning the MAF sensor. Also make sure that the air box lid is sealed correctly. If it does not close right it will cause other codes.

Chick

Reaction score
Try cleaning the MAF sensor. Also make sure that the air box lid is sealed correctly. If it does not close right it will cause other codes.
Forgot to include I did clean the MAF sensor. I'll check the air box and duct work. Thanks Joey.
Is it possible this could be a bad wire or plug?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could be a bad wire or plug, but if you changed them recent, then I doubt it... you can always try a different plug.

Chick

Reaction score
Would an injector cause the "P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire detected" or do I have a bad plug/wire? The new wires and plugs cleared all the other codes, 0303, 0306, or maybe it was just the crud clearing out of the fuel.
Please Help!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could still be junk in the fuel, it is hard to say. The sad thing with the D2 is it doesn't have a true fuel filter to clean out the junk (it does have a small pre-filter at the fuel pump, but I don't really count this, since you don't change it often.

Since you have already ran the seafoam in the intake and the fuel tank I would say the injectors should be clean or getting cleaned out.

New plugs and wires normally take care of a lot of the other issues, you have cleaned the MAF. I would also clean out the Butterfly, other than that you could have a Bad MAF or it could be a dirty injector (if something is stuck in there.

Chick

Reaction score
OK, The truck runs terrible, still the same code P0301, so I'm thinking it is an injector problem. How do I get to the injectors? Can I field clean them, or do I have to replace them?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink