Popping Noise coming from Roof

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P

pbrover

Every now and then the roof area makes a popping noise, like that of an acorn hitting the top of the roof. Anybody else experiencing this noise?

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you park it underneath an oak tree? :biggrin:

Could be a seal popping, although I doubt it. Maybe something's loose up there, probably in the sunroof area if I had to guess.

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found that when it is raining, or has rained recently (or snow is melting), single, large drops from overhead trees or posts make loud popping or pinging noises on the roof when I'm driving slowly.

H

Houm_WA

I've experienced what trm2 is describing as well....it's actually rain (or acorns?) landing on the large glass surface AFT of the driver's seat. The other day though I heard one that was particularly loud...not the normal rain-derived kind of pop. I looked on the top and found nothing.

O

obaltuch

I had this issue as well. From raindrops to small stones hitting the forward
facing surface above the Windshield. The solution was to have a clear armour
strip (4 inches wide) installed between the windshield and the sunroof. (I had
the leading edge of the bonnet protected as well.) This not only dampens the
sound (no longer pings), but, also will reduce rock chipping.

Cheers,

Oliver

U

UnbrknCh8n

I heard that noise quite a bit when I was driving to California last Spring. In my case, it was the sound of very large bugs meeting their maker with the help of the stepped roof of my LR3.

T

threeputt

Not sure abou this as I haven't verified, but over a year ago when I was researching these, I remember mention of the hood and roof being a magnesium alloy to reduce weight ~ and/or to lower the CG. I know it makes a wierd sound, that's for sure.

Jeff

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99