Popping noise from audio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my 2006 LR3 HSE fully detailed yesterday. (Not the engine compartment) The carpets were shampooed. The detailer told me to leave the windows down for a few days so the carpets would fully dry. The entire floor of the Rover is really damp now. I live in an apt. so leaving the windows down is not an option unless I am driving.

The drive home from the detailer was fine. The next day (Today) I start the car and the there is a popping/crackling noise randomly coming out of all speakers. Even if the radio is off it will randomly make these noises.
Driving or parked it does it and even with the engine off.

Here's how it goes.
I turn the radio on, My Bluetooth iphone connects as usual. At some point, the speakers will make this popping sound and the audio (am/fm/aux or whatever) will mute until it decides to pop again. The audio will resume playing from the speakers. Some times when this occurs, the radio will display "Phone Connected" even though it's been connected.

My guess is that when they were shampooing the carpet, they over soaked it and moisture got into or onto some electrical connection. I have the Harmon Kardon Logic 7 system. I checked the amp under the passengers seat. It looked and felt dry. I checked the connections on the back of it and they seemed dry and fine.

Any ideas ?

Thx,
Lenny

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard Reset perhaps.

The problem is probably moisture in a connector somewhere and if so, the problem may by now have dried out and gone away.

If not, try the hard reset procedure as below. Every so often when I have a radio problem or the trouble display starts to show silly messages, I will do a hard reset and often the problems goes away or the radio / BlueTooth works as it should. The process has not yet seemed to harm anything.

In brief, to start the hard reset process, open the hood but close all doors and let your 3 go to sleep - no radio display etc and no key in the ignition.
(I find that it is often a good idea to have the drivers door window rolled down and the key in my pocket whenever fooling about the vehicle.)

Disconnect the ground battery terminal from the main starting battery.
Disconnect the positive battery terminal from the main starting battery.

(I assume that you only have one battery in your 3. If not, disconnect the others as well and leave them disconnected until after all is done.)

Connect the negative cable to the positive cable. (NOT the battery.) You will need a short length, (a foot or so), of light gauge, (14 to 18 gauge AWG, stranded copper), wire to do this as there is not enough slack in the positive and negative battery cables for them to touch each other.

Hold them together for about a minute or so, (some say 5 to 10 minutes); you are discharging memory modules within the engine computer and elsewhere.

Reattach positive terminal to the main starting battery.
Reattach negative terminal to the main starting battery.

Start engine and hopefully no warning lights.
Reset time on the radio - note that the station presets are still there as not everything is erased. Nothing much else needs resetting either.

You can now connect up the other batteries if you have a multiple battery setup.

This is a link to a thread in disco3 re hard reset.

http://www.**************/forum/topic19547.html

Replace the **** with disco3 co uk and insert a period in each of the two spaces - blocking you know.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635