Possible coolant leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upon installing ProSpeed light brackets on my Disco4, noticed my coolant level is low. My truck has been sitting for two days without being in use.

-No faults.
-No coolant smell.
-No signs of dry coolant around housing thermostat housing or water pump.
-No signs of cracked hoses.

Level is well below “Cold fill level” on expansion tank. Does anyone have suggestions and/or related problems? Should it be a concern? I’ve been driving on this low level for several months now as I’ve not noticed this until now.

084CF8D1-563F-42DC-B740-B1C73AD3D24F.jpeg

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Top it off and keep an eye on it? There is a TSB for the water pump leak (and crossover pipe). It's quite a common issue. My 2013 was fixed for this same issue this year. No faults other than a low coolant warning light. It had to warm up and then you could faintly smell coolant. It's a slow leak, so you likely won't see puddling.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jack of all trades but master of none...As long as it is labelled SF (silicate free). I personally use Pentosin SF and it is not hard to find. Premixed or use distilled water, especially if you live in high mineral content areas.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jack of all trades but master of none...As long as it is labelled SF (silicate free). I personally use Pentosin SF and it is not hard to find. Premixed or use distilled water, especially if you live in high mineral content areas.

I'll have to look for that. It does meet the exact LR spec, which is probably better.

I am looking at buying one of those vacuum venturi tools so I can do the vacuum fill method on coolant. Maybe ill flush it with that pentofrost sf.

Thanks

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The coolant confusion over the last 15 years has cooled off somewhat. Most manufacturers are now using some type of silicate free OAT. The old silicate coolants are disappearing.

horns

Reaction score
I got the pentosin SF from O'Reily's Auto Parts when I had a similar problem.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll top it off. Thanks for all the advice. If it persists at a fast rate I’ll take a look at the water pump. My warranty covers the pump.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99