Possibly Selling My Baby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 Disco SE7 with 135k miles. It is driven every day but needs cats, the ac leaks R134 badly and the diff lock linkage needs work (very, very stiff).

Probably could use rotors and calipers (I already have the parts) too and the cruise control thingy (actuator) under the hood needs to be replaced.

What do you think I should put out as an asking price. I have some ideas but would like to get some thoughts from the forum.

Or, should I put out the $$$ to do all the work described above. How much do you think these repairs would cost through a reasonable repair shop not the dealer?

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Repair costs can vary a lot... Cats are cheap if you go to a mom and pop muffler shop or can weld them yourself.

Rotors and calipers are a pain in the A**, but if you have the parts your looking around 30 minutes per wheel after the tire has been removed and you spend an hour on the first one, or a couple hundred at a shop. SE7 probably leaking r134a at the drivers rear tire wheel well... if you disconnect and cap the rear a/c it will save you a ton and easy to fix.

Selling straight out... you can start around $2500 if the tires are in good shape, but I have seen them sell for as little at $1000.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you're making me want to keep it! If I do I'll ask you for a walk through on rotor removal. Looking in the manual it does look like a real pain.

Tires only have 1000 miles on them and body is solid.

Thanks Joey!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Any time... My 97 has been mine for 8 years and the only way it will ever leave me is when it dies completely... and I don't mean just engine or tranny because I can rebuild or replace them cheap enough... Figure for off road and winter driving I can't replace it cheaper than I can keep it running.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, where is the horn relay? I thought it was behind the passenger side kick plate but not sure.

Also, I charged the battery but forgot to set radio code. My son took off in the truck and fooled around with the radio because "code" came up. Now I can't reset with my proper code. I tried disconnecting the battery for a couple of hours but it still wont reset. It keeps letting me enter the code but I just get a beep no reset.

Thanks,

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Horn relay, I will have to look up..., but the radio code issue isn't hard. When it says enter code, listen for the beep. If it beeps in the middle of the code it had too many numbers punched in the last time. Lets say your code is 14534 and you enter 1453 then hear beep. Stop and start over with 14534 and it should work, if not then you may not have to correct code or it has been locked out for 24 hours. (okay not sure on the 24 hour part, but it has always been a good time frame for me when I screwed it up).

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm putting in the correct code but it wont reset. I'm going to leave it on accessory for an hour with the radio on "code" and try again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9