Potential LR3 HSE Buyer: Scared Off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

N

norcallr3

After reading the following http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1285 , I'm not sure I am willing to risk making the purchase.

Any owners out there with some positive feedback on this vehicle with zero issues so far and atleast 10-12K miles on the car? The wife and I feel the car has alot of pluses functionally and asthetically, but feel the car just has too many bugs to work out.

Also, since Ford took over, to all the dealerships automatically rent a car while repairs are being made or do you get another Land Rover loaner?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2005 SE. 11,500 miles. I got it with 6000 miles and have had 0 issues. The low coolant light warning comes on intermittently, but I don't really consider that a big deal, maybe 1/2 an issue. And the tires suck - a lot.
I had the same apprehension as you, so I went with a 2 year lease to test it. So far so good, although usually rovers are designed to start breaking at 48,001 miles, per my experience. Overall, I love it. The only thing I miss is the character of the older rovers. Which is a good thing to most people, it's just that it's almost too refined and well mannered.
I don't know about other dealers, mine will usually provide a rover loaner. Downside is that they don't have enough and you have to schedule quite a bit in advance - which is ok for routine service but not if it breaks.
Overall I'd say go for it. I wouldn't want to drive anything else on the market today.

B

Beach

I don't have an HSE, but have had close to zero problems with my LR3. The only thing that has happened was while driving to the beach in the rain, one of my windshield wipers went bad. The rubber edge basically started peeling off. I called my dealer while in route and they FedExed me a pair of new wipers, arriving at the beach the next morning.

I've got about 20,000 miles on mine and am loving it!

Oh I just remembered, there was the gas tank recall...but they replaced it while doing the 15,000 mile service. They gave me a rental in the morning and my LR3 was done by the end of the day.

woodmews

Reaction score
I have a 06 LR3 SE7 and have had no problems with it at all have 8000 miles. From listening on this board it seems that most of the problems occured with the 2005 model, so if you are getting a 06 you will probably be ok. I would not get any other car at this point accept for a RRS, which is what my husband wants next.

A

alanmeyer

I puchased a 2006 LR3 HSE in February, and I have about 4K miles on it so far with no issues (knock on wood). That is, unless you consider the poor gas mileage a defect!

From an overall driving experience standpoint, I don't think that it gets much better than the LR3. It's truely a wonderful vehicle to drive. From a reliability standpoint, the LR3 has a bit to go but it would appear to be steadily improving from previous years.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '05 HSE has 11,820 mile without a single problem. My previous 2002 Discovery II had 65,000 miles with no serious problems (seat switch broke, power window mechanism failed) it never left me stranded or had an unscheduled dealer visit.

T

threeputt

17k on my '05 HSE7 and no problems aside from a loose speaker grill in the front passenger door. I still get a big grin on my face every time I drive it. Absolutely NO regrets.

Jeff

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't kid yourself: I have a 2005 HSE with 12K miles on it. A little over 1K of those miles has been spent going back and forth to the dealership to fix the following problems:

1) Leaky roof (still not fixed): water drains into my car when I reverse after a hard rain
2) Crappy Tires: the 19" Goodyears on the HSE are junk. Dealer finally put Michelins on my vehicle because they couldn't find Goodyears that didn't wobble.
3) Various recalls: So far, three items on my car have been replaced, including the gas tank.
4) Cracking speakers: Supposedly had them fixed this past week. Problem persists even though I paid a few extra grand for a "premium soundsystem."

Other than that, the car is great, but if I had to do it over again I'd buy a Toyota Landcruiser.

T

threeputt

I had the fuel tank replaced on recall, but just did it at the same time as a normal service--painless. Have I missed more recalls?

Jeff

JohnKel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 HSE w/ 12K and no major problems.

1 recall :fuel tank, not aware of any others :confused: ,compresssor just replaced and a faulty hi/low range switch replaced @ 7500mi service that about it.

My dealer has LR3 loaners so thats not a problem for me :biggrin: and I would not only recomend Land Rover to a friend, but my family as well. It's probably the only brand I will buy in the future HTH

Cheers
John

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112