power steering fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FFNPMcD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been noticing that I am having to refill my power steering fluid at a regular basis now..
Best I can determing the fluid seems to be leaking from the hydrolic pump..
Is this an indicator that the pump may be going bad... or could it just be an indicator that I just need to do some basic hose replacement?

Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Neill

Also what kinds of problems can I create with little to no power steering fluid?

samroverguy

Reaction score
Rovers are notorious for leaking oil and powersteering fluid. It is the norm. Check where the hoses attach to the powersteering box and try to determine if it is just a hose leak. Might have to change the whole powersteering box, which is doable and not terribly expensive.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First thing I would check this the hose clamps coming off where you fill it, they are very cheap and tend to leak bad. Personally I replaced the hoses and the clamps almost 3 years ago and haven't leaked any fluid since.

FFNPMcD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Joey..
Are the hoses generic enough I can pick them up at a local aout parts store..
or do you order through will or nathan?
Thanks
Neill

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Kind of generic... you need to make sure they are oil resistant or the fluid will eat it up.

FFNPMcD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't find anybody round here carrying them... being told it's a dealer only product..
Did get my hands on some new hsed clamps... I'll give them a go and hope that fixes the problem...

Thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I just bought 4 feet of high end oil resistant hose from Napa, and cut and made my own. around $5 IIRC

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been noticing that I am having to refill my power steering fluid at a regular basis now..
Best I can determing the fluid seems to be leaking from the hydrolic pump..
Is this an indicator that the pump may be going bad... or could it just be an indicator that I just need to do some basic hose replacement?

Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Neill

Also what kinds of problems can I create with little to no power steering fluid?
I went the real quick and cheap route because past experience taught me, what the heck - it works (as I also had some seepage of steering fluid down at the seals in the actual steering box)! i.e., get yourself a bottle of Lucas Oil's Steering Fluid and, voila, the seepage at the seals stops (don't forget to tighten clamps too). I don't work for Lucas Oils - so this is not an ad - their stuff simply works (and I have tried nearly everything out there - often with great dissappointment and crappy results).

By the way, just an extra here - most of those 'power-boost' additives, Octane Boosts, Upper Cylinder lubes, etc. don't do much, Lucas' works somewhat but its not outstanding - however CD2 (based out of Chicago) has an amazing product that really gave an extra boost to these lumbering V8's (especially an old one like mine) and, of course, now I can't get it up here in the Great White North anymore. But if any of you folks can still get that south of the border - do yourself and your engine a favor - and stock up!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM