Previous LR3 owners - any regrets getting an LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 2008 LR3 is closing in on 50K miles, so maintenance, warranty and road service are almost over. And I'm sure max trade-in value requires the dealer being able to market the LR3 as a CPO vehicle.

Our LR3 has been so reliable. It's an HSE with the lux package so it has nicer leather. We also have the heavy duty package which I'm convinced helps when beach driving. (neighbor has an LR4 without the rear dif and they got stuck right behind us in deep sand)

I've had a few LR4 loaners during maintenance visits and the interior is so much nicer. The extra 75 HP makes the LR4 feel more like our old powerful 4.2 Q7. I know the free maintenance is over on LR4's. Is there any downside to upgrading from our LR3 to an LR4? (Other than paying for it?)

I don't think there are any LR4's available in our area with the heavy duty package so I will probably have to order the LR4. What is the delivery time if you special order an LR4?

Last edited:

grizzld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PaulLR3,

I had an '08 LR3 SE for 2 years, and the only problem I had was with the sunroof motor dying (it took the dealership 3 times to finally fix it). However, I never really considered this a big deal, and would definitely classify my LR3 as reliable. I sold it a year ago because I was approaching 50,000 miles and didn't want to take the chance on large maintenance bills.

I traded it in for a Touareg last year but have not been impressed. Because of that fact, along with all the positive reviews I've read on this forum, I decided to pull the trigger on a 2012 HSE. Like you, I wanted the HD Package, so I had to order one -- should be here in 3-4 months.

Last edited:

weingarm

Reaction score
I ordered a new 2011 LR4 HSE LUX model in mid-January 2011 and it arrived late-March 2011 (about 10 weeks).

When I ordered, they quoted me it would take about 12-14 weeks so I was pleasantly surprised! I think it depends on what time of the month you order it. They configure a model in their dealer allocation to your specifications and it enters production sometime during the NEXT calendar month. So if you order on, say Feb 5th - it won't enter production until March. Same goes if you order on Feb 26th. But if you order now (Jan 22), it'll probably enter production in February and you should have it by late March - just like I did.

drewman75

Reaction score
No regrets at all. I had a love/hate relationship with my LR3. Loved it when I had it, but hated when it was in the shop. And it was in the shop A LOT. Specifically for suspension related issues. I traded it in December because I was coming up on the end of my extended warranty. And considering how much it was in the shop, I certainly did not want to pay for those visits out of pocket. So, I traded up and haven't looked back. Love the 2012. A lot of the stuff that sort of bugged me or that I missed (as far as techy gadgetry so to speak) I love in the 2012. I only have a couple thousand miles on it though. So I'm probably a ways off on seeing how the suspension holds up. But so far, no regrets.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM