Problems with my disco :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

mfurtado

Hi everyone,

I have been a disco owner and loving it for the past 2 years (almost 3)
I purchased a 1996 SD Discovery I and for the most part everything has gone smotth until 2 days ago...

The Rover has started to be very VERY noisy... I suspect the right hand exaust manifold, either its gaskets or bolts are cracked/loose.
In addition to that louder exaust noise I have started to hear a ratling sound from the same general area as the exault manifold... I am at a loss as to get a complete list of parts I need to replace and fix this beauty... and thus my thread....
The exhaust system also seems to be aging as the end of the muffler has started to show some burning...

So far I have id'd the following parts as needed:

Right hand exault manifold gaskets (is there more than one?)
Exhaust manifolds bolts
Possibility of a new exhaust system...

If I do need to replace the complete exaust system, is it something I can do myself or should I get someone from the dealer to take a look?

Thanks for everything guys, and gals,
Please do help!!!

Miguel

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would take it to an exhaust specialty store that puts on flowmasters. They will diagnose your exhaust for free (since they want to sell you a flowmaster) and ask them if they can save the exhaust. It might just be a simple welding job.

D

discomike

Miguel,
Start your truck and crwal under it, listen to the rattle sound, you'l probably find you have a bad cat. If it is bad, plan on replacing both of your O2 sensors, check your spark plugs and if the plug wires are originial replace them with a set of 8mm. Magnacor or better.
Cats start to rattle when the plugs or wires fail and too much gas has to be burned off in the cat causing it to over heat and than they rattle.
Mike J.

M

mfurtado

Thank you guys, I will take in your advice...

Hi Disco Mike,
How can I tell its bad? I did crawl under the truck as its running, and it sounds the loudest right below the passenger side near the exhaust manifold... Now heres something new, I've got 2 fault codes from the truck, misfires in cylinder 7 & 8, could this be the cause for the rattling?
As you mentioned, there could be unburned fuel coming into the exhaust?

Thank you again guys!!!
I appreciate it!

Miguel

D

discomike

Yes,
You could be getting unburned fuel down to the cats and that is what has caused your rattle.
If you hit your cats with a hammer or your hand and the rattle comes fro there, it will be the cat. Than as I mentioned before, look at what caused the problem before you replace the cats or it will happen again.
Mike J.

M

mfurtado

Hi Disco Mike,

Thank you again for your continuing help.. I checked the catalyst yesterday and no ratling, in fact I had to drive the truck today to work and it sounded like a ***** cat (well a big one) :)

I am not sure what happened, all I can think is that something was loose in one of the pans of the exhaust system that got pushed out when i drove it.

Should I still plan on replacing the catalyst converters or anything else?
If there was something loose, is there a chance there is some valve or gasket that broke?

Finally, if you can still put up with me, could you tell me websites I can go to for technical details for the 1996 discovery, I am looking for stuff like engine graphs, repair instructions and things like that, I apologize if I am in such website.

Again, thank you very much for your help, I'll owe you a beer when you're in town!

Miguel

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SNNIPER

Miguel I Got A Rattle When I Went Wading And It Turned Out To Be The Muffler Skin Had Poped Were They Spot Weld Them.to The Inner Supports.

S

SNNIPER

Miguel I Would Loose The Cats I Have A 2.5" System With A Lukey Raceflow And She Purrs Like A Big Cat And Because Mine Also Runs On Gas If It Backfires Then It Wont Bloww The Baffles Out Like Last Time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72