Problems With the LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdrewd00

Reaction score
So took my lr3 to the dealer to have it diagnosed since I still had an engine system fault, where they came back with it needing a new brake pedal switch to take care of the engine fault and as for the christmas affect with all the faults, recommended replacing the battery. Gonna let them fix the line, but I think we can handle the battery....she just said to make sure it's the same group size....did you have to replace your battery at all? Any recommendations on where to get one besides Checker?

cdodkin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So took my lr3 to the dealer to have it diagnosed since I still had an engine system fault, where they came back with it needing a new brake pedal switch to take care of the engine fault and as for the christmas affect with all the faults, recommended replacing the battery. Gonna let them fix the line, but I think we can handle the battery....she just said to make sure it's the same group size....did you have to replace your battery at all? Any recommendations on where to get one besides Checker?

Did not have to replace my battery.

When I did some research, the switch failure was enough to cause the Christmas Tree lighting on the dash - it's a known 'feature' apparently!

So I'd get that switch done then see how it looks.

Not swapped an LR3 battery - but when I needed a new Discovery 2 battery I went with Optima (Red Top), and managed to source through CostCo at a very good price.

I've also heard good things about DieHard (Sears) and use Duralast in my other vehicles with no issues.

tdrewd00

Reaction score
I think I'll replace the battery anyway just for peace of mind hopefully correcting the issues. I can't say I love having my car go into "limp" mode while on the freeway....thanks for all your help....I let you know how it goes!

adharris70

Full Access Member
Reaction score
battery

When I first bought my 2005 LR3 the ford dealer replaced my battery I had some faults come up until the battery charged the entire system, I looked at the battery and they put in the Interstate which is one of the best batterys on the market.

StevenJ_AK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had a new Battery put in at my 48K final warranty service. I had killed it twice in the last id say three months and my Land Rover kept throwing a random turn signals. It would just come on without touching anything for a few seconds. It also gave me a Parking break fault and after the new battery havent had an issue with either!

My 06 SE has this list right now:

For some odd reason, ill get a random "bonnet open" message, which once i stop the hood is not open! but i usually always stop because i once had a hood come up on me at 80mph and that would be devastating to this one! Any one else get random messages like that?

My one other HUGE complaint is the stupid Alarm system. For a reason unknown it will go off at 100% completely random times. it will sound for about 15 seconds then go off then come back on for about a minute or two. And when im not around my vehicle i know when it has gone off because when i walk up to it and unlock it my lamps are flashing fast constantly until l i put the key in. they wont flash until i push the unlock button though. I hate it so much! It just screams, hey im a land rover please come steal me! Im not always in the nicest parts of town lol

Any clues guys? thanks

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The alarm and "bonnet open are likely related. I would clean out the sensor and adjust if necassary or just replace. If the hood opens while alarmed it should sound the horn....

Frank_ws6

Reaction score
I had the bonnet open message as well and it was solved with some kind of a spray the service guy at the dealership sprayed onto the hood latches around where the sensor was. It must have been brake cleaner or something. it was just a dirty sensor.

StevenJ_AK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, i tried it and it seems like it has worked!! thanks so much but now....uh oh....another problem.

Last night i left my sunroof cracked open and it rained......inside, now my floors didnt get wet or anything really, or the seats, just the center counsel. Heres the problem now though

My car has thrown a "transmission fault" message on the message screen, no fault light though. The car ***** just fine, but no sport mode is availiable, and no command **** either. The gear shift indicator light ( you know where it says P, R, N, D ) the D is constantly Oarnge. sigh, i unhooked the battery for about 5 mins still threw the fault afterwards. im really hoping that after a day or two of drying out it sorta just fixes itself!!

Anyone else had this happen??

StevenJ_AK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, i tried it and it seems like it has worked!! thanks so much but now....uh oh....another problem.

Last night i left my sunroof cracked open and it rained......inside, now my floors didnt get wet or anything really, or the seats, just the center counsel. Heres the problem now though

My car has thrown a "transmission fault" message on the message screen, no fault light though. The car ***** just fine, but no sport mode is availiable, and no command **** either. The gear shift indicator light ( you know where it says P, R, N, D ) the D is constantly Oarnge. sigh, i unhooked the battery for about 5 mins still threw the fault afterwards. im really hoping that after a day or two of drying out it sorta just fixes itself!!

Anyone else had this happen??

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"New" 2008 LR3

I just got (Monday) a 2008 LR3 HSE with 30k miles on it. I'm looking ahead to things to possibly change or improve on it when the time comes. I've always had American trucks or cars, including a 1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep that I'm restoring.
My question is about the tires and ways to improve performance. Any recommendations on replacement tires (don't need them now) or ways to improve fuel economy and engine HP, aside from what's in the manuals? Curious. Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635