Purchasing 2007 LR3 HSE Warranty Advice Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dukhntr

Reaction score
I'm purchasing a 2007 LR3 HSE with 70K mi. It has an extensive preventative maintenance history as well as a lot of recent expensive items that have been replaced. Bushings, tie rods, transmission service, rear latch. Most of the typical things that appear to go wrong (I've been researching a lot). The vehicle has been maintained its entire life at Land Rover. I'm getting it for $16,800 and based on about 3 months of searching across the entire US, it's a pretty good deal. Also, based on my research, it seems no matter how good it is now, it will need repairs. I can get a warranty from USAA with a zero deductible, 2 years/24K mi, for $3K. I have all my banking and insurance with USAA so I'm comfortable with the company. Here are my specific questions:

1. Does the vehicle sound like a good deal?
2. Is there a better deal out there for coverage on an '07 with 70K mi?

I really like the information available on this forum. Thanks in advance for any help!

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My opinion, and that of most other folks here is that if you are not going to the dealer, or handy doing stuff yourself, you will come out money ahead short of a major failure, ie: engine, transmission, transfer case. Still if you budget the same amount a year, you will have the funds for preventative and service should you encounter any problems.

As with this, and most Land Rovers, they are maintained their entire life by necessity. The trade off is the fact they are awesome vehicles.

dukhntr

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I normally try to buy well-maintained vehicles and continue to keep them that way. Because of this, I've never opted for a warranty on a used vehicle and it's worked out. I've been doing a lot of research in these forums and it seems that people have suggested $1500-$3000 of annual maintenance. This vehicle has already had most, if not all, of the bushing/tie rods replaced so I should be good there. Also, thermostat, lift gate hatch release, and most of the things I see that go out on the LR3s. The logical side of me says it's better to roll the dice and not get the warranty but 2 yrs/24K bumper to bumper sure is a lot of piece of mind. I plan on using it so I can probably figure out a way to break something.

Any other people who have had or opted not to get warranties have an opinion? Have to make a decision in a few days. Thanks!

Codename Duchess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I'd be curious how the warranty works, fine print wise.

I say that because I can easily spend every single weekend maintaining the LR3. Not because anything is broken, but there's always *something* to be worked on.

paula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2007 LR3 HSE with 70K miles as well. Paid $16.5K but maintenance in last 4 years was not at LR dealership but rather at independents.

I live in CA and can only do MBI. I did a lot of research on this subject and always get worried after reading reports on denials of claims.

Any ideas which MBI to buy?

dukhntr

Reaction score
Sorry, can't help with MBI.

Any other thoughts on the warranty? Dealer is doing a pre-buy inspection Fri. Here are the bullet points:

- Land Rover buyer inspection checks out
- Vehicle has been maintained at dealer entire life
- Recent transmission service
- Recent bushings/tierods
- Air suspension service (sensors I think)
- 70K mi

Should I spend $3K on a bumper-to-bumper warranty for 2 yrs/24K mi with zero deductible or roll the dice? The warranty is backed by USAA and I've been with them forever and have always had superior customer service.

Opinions welcome...

Thanks!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have MBI on my Infiniti and had it on my LR3. I bought it through GEICO and it has been a life-saver. However, you have to be the original owner and purchase MBI within the first 15k miles, so I think that ship may have sailed on you unless other insurance carriers have different rules and protection levels.

Seilars

Reaction score
Hi,

You've probably decided by now - what was your decision!? :smile:

When I decided I wanted an LR3, I also considered buying from a dealer in order to get an extended warranty policy. Found a 2007 SE at a Ford dealer, but they wanted $4200 for the policy. No brainer- didn't do it.
I ended up buying from a private party, so my 2008 HSE is not eligible for extended warranty. But I'm fairly handy and have always done simple maintenance myself, and have set aside an "emergency fund".

Consider this:
- If they haven't been replaced already, the front lower control arms will likely need to be replaced before 80k miles. Around $1500 at indie shop.
- Air suspension service - what were the details? Sensors are relatively cheap, but the compressor (which tends to fail) is not... Around $2000 at indie shop.
- Request a diff fluid change before purchase, as it is supposed to be changed around 70k miles. Fresh fluid can reduce the risk of ruining a very expensive part. Fluids depend whether or not you have the locking rear diff, but is not insanely expensive.

Good luck!

paula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good advice. I am also keeping aside an emergency fund.

Before I bought my 2007 LR3 HSE last week from a private party, I had it inspected by an independent LR mechanic and he asked me to get an oil change done in 2K miles. He shall be topping off all fluids as well at that time.

I think I would like to not wait for 2K miles and rather do it right away as am anxious to get things started under my supervision after taking over the vehicle which I have grown to love in the past week.

Seilars

Reaction score
Always smart to have it inspected by a mechanic!

As for oil change:
Sure, they're relatively inexpensive and it's good peace of mind.
Without knowing how long ago since the last oil change in your rig, I tend to think oil changes are overrated. A high quality, full synthetic oil and filter lubricates an engine block for thousands of miles. Factory specs are 7.5k miles, but I wouldn't hesitate driving a couple of thousand miles more with mostly-on-the-street driving. At least with few known issues with pick up screens clogging and that kind of nasty stuff. At least that's my 2c... :biggrin:

Totally agree with you, though - getting all the fluids topped off kinda like a new start.:smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4